Like fluttery long lashes and radiant skin, a bold red lip will never cease to amaze us–when it’s done correctly, that is. International Makeup Artist for Rimmel London, Kristin Piggott, shares the five essential tips for creating the scarlet pout yourself using Kate Moss’ signature Lasting Finish Lipstick in ’01.’
1. It’s all about finding the right shade to suit you. Wear blue/red lip colors if you have more pink undertones in your skin (such as cherry or pinky reds) and orange/red lip colors if you have more olive/yellow undertones in your skin (like fire engine or brick reds).
2. To ensure a smooth application when wearing a red lip, buff and balm the lips before applying any color. You can use a lip scrub or a toothbrush to remove any dry flakes of skin. Lightly apply a lip balm, but make sure you wipe off any excess so that your lipstick doesn’t slide off.
3. Always make sure your lips are hydrated before applying your lip color. Use your foundation as a base on the lips, then, using a lip liner, define and contour the mouth filling in the entire lip area. This creates great base for your lipstick to adhere to and prevents your lipstick from bleeding.
4. Use a lip brush to apply your lip color, as this will give you much more control than applying straight from the stick.
5. Once you’ve applied your lipstick, blot your lips using a tissue and reapply another coat. This helps to prevent your lipstick from wearing off quickly and will give you a long-lasting effect.
Will you try out the tips and create a perfect lipstick look? Tell us about your favorite lipstick shade. Tweet @OKMagazine and leave a comment below.