Clear Haircare celebrity stylist Jen Atkin worked double duty with Katy Perry at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday night, creating both her red carpet and performance looks. Jen breaks down how she achieved each distinct style:
“After Johnny Wujek showed me Katy’s Ungaro dress for the red carpet, I was immediately inspired,” says Jen. “We looked at images in a lot of foreign fashion magazines for inspiration. I also wanted to show off Katy’s face, and expose the high collar on the dress. We decided to put her hair into a high ponytail, keeping with the lines of the dress to complete the look. Her makeup artist, Jake Bailey, and I wanted to show a fresh, clean, yet glam look.”
• It’s important to start with a solid foundation for any style, and that starts when you wash your hair. A shampoo and conditioner combo that helps you tame frizz and fight fly-aways is helpful.”
• After washing, add a dime-sized amount of hair oil and blow dry straight for a sleek style.
• Brush hair back into a high ponytail using a mixed bristle brush, and secure with a strong elastic band. I recommend the bungee bands for a tight hold.
“Katy went from the red carpet to her finale stage where she would be closing out the 2013 MTV VMAs,” explains Jen. “Inspired by her lyrics, Katy performed as a fighter, so I immediately knew I wanted to give her braids in the vein of Million Dollar Baby. I wanted her to look feminine, but with a tough edge.”
• Part hair and separate it down the middle.
• French braid from the forehead, down on both sides, and secure with small rubber bands.
• A great trick for this look is to add a little wax or pomade to your hands before you start braiding to help tame the braids along the way—something that has great hold and a matte finish, so it won’t leave your hair looking greasy.
Who had the best style at Sunday night’s Video Music Awards? Tell us in the comments below or tweet @OKMagazine.