We're nearing the half way mark now in OK!'s 12 Week Countdown To Summer!
And as we enter week 6 in our campaign to get bikini ready our thoughts have turned to ensuring we have as taut a tummy as possible for when we hit the beach!
Here are 10 great tips to getting a flatter belly!
1. Cardio & Resistance. Doing a combination of cardio and resistance work is key to getting that flat and taut stomach. Building lean muscle helps to get a faster metabolism and helps to burn calories even when you're not working out. Circuit training is a great way to get in both in one exercise session.
2. Relax. Anxiety and stress produces cortisol which is a hormone that encourages the body to store fat especially around the belly area. Yoga and deep breathing exercises can help with this. Take 10 deep breaths at a slow count and learn tools to deal with stressful situations.
3. Eat More. Yes that's right. Consuming small meals, little and often is a great way to get rid of stored fat. If you don't eat enough your body will go into starvation mode and hold on to excess fat.
4. Too Sweet. Cutting back on the amount of sugar you eat every day is an easy way to instantly reduce calories intake. But be careful because there are a lot of hidden sugars in every day foods like salad dressings and low-fat yogurts. Keeping a steady blood sugar level also helps to ward off cravings and the crazy high and lows.
5. Eat Lighter At Night. Having just protein and green veggies for dinner is a good way to not wake up the next morning with a heavy, bloated feeling.
6. Sleep. Getting enough zeds every night is imperative when trying to lose weight. It's been documented that those who get little sleep are more likely to carry excess pounds. So turn off your tv, computer and any other distractions at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
7. Herbs. Ginger and peppermint teas are great for digestion and can help to reduce bloating. Pineapple also contains an enzyme which could have a similar effect.
8. Feel The Burn. Holding a plank for a minute and doing crunches and other abdominal exercises will help to tone those muscles so when the fat melts away you have great abs left behind.
9. Swiss Ball. Sitting on a Swiss ball rather than a regular chair at work helps to keep your abs engaged and you can work work on your core as well as your daily duties at the same time.
10. Laugh Out Loud! When is the last time you laughed until your belly hurt! Having a giggle with friends and loved ones is a great way to get your stomach muscles to contract and it's fun too!
What are some of your tips to get and keep a flat stomach! Share with us below or tweet us @OKMagazine!