“The VMAs epitomize the art of fashion as a form of self-expression. Whether you’re channeling Katy Perry expressing her wild side in leopard or Selena Gomez giving off a sexy, mature vibe in an illusion bodice gown, places like T.J.Maxx serve as a creative playground to find those designer pieces that allow you to express your personal style,” says Chavez.
OK!: What were the biggest trends seen on the red carpet at this year’s VMAs?
- Embellishment: There were lots of ladies rocking elaborate embroidery and gilded, encrusted jewels—some of my favorites were Ellie Goulding, Miley Cyrus, Iggy Azalea, Coco Rocha, and Katy Perry.
- Illusion: It’s still a big trend and perfect for the VMAs. We saw Allison Williams, Ciara, Erin Wasson, Miriam Nervo and Selena Gomez sporting this look.
- Feathers: This will be a big trend for fall and both Ciara and Rita Ora turned up the glam in their fearless feather skirting.
OK!: Who was best dressed in your opinion?
NC: Best dressed for the night goes to Selena Gomez. She was on trend with her illusion bodice and side cut-out, plus she donned the “it” color for fall—cobalt blue.
OK!: How would you recreate some of your favorite VMAs looks for less?
- Coco Rocha expressed her rocker side with a cropped moto jacket (very on trend!), black tank, and skinny pants. You can find a designer statement piece like her moto jacket for incredible prices at places like T.J.Maxx, then finish the look with gold brooches.
- Shailene Woodley wore a sexy, yet simple, look that anyone could recreate using a black cropped tank with an embellished statement skirt.
OK!: What else did you think will be huge this fall fashion wise?
- Katy Perry said it all in leopard—this wild print will be everywhere this fall—from fashion to accessories.
- Plaid will also be a huge trend this fall—from coats to handbags to shoes.
- Fur, fringe, and feathers are another statement trend that will be a welcomed texture for fall.
OK!: What about the guys—who really nailed it?
NC: My best dressed man of the night would be Robin Thicke. I love a man in a classic black tux on the red carpet. His black and white striped suit for the show was brilliant and a show stopper.
What did you think of the VMAs? Who was best dressed in your opinion? Sound off in the comments below or on Twitter @OKMagazine!