Despite having an endorsement contract with Dior, Natalie Portman has released a statement condemning its chief designer, John Galliano, after a video surfaced on Monday of John reportedly making anti-Semitic comments.
Video was released showing John appearing to tell patrons at a Paris bar, “people like you would be dead” and that “your mothers, your forefathers” would all be “gassed.”
He also reportedly said, “I love Hitler.”
Last week, John was accused of verbally abusing a French couple in a bar and was suspended from Dior.
But now, Natalie is speaking out.
“I am deeply shocked and disgusted by the video of John Galliano’s comments that surfaced today,” Natalie said in a statement Monday evening (via The New York Times). “In light of this video, and as an individual who is proud to be Jewish, I will not be associated with Mr. Galliano in any way.”
“I hope at the very least, these terrible comments remind us to reflect and act upon combating these still-existing prejudices that are the opposite of all that is beautiful,” the Oscar-winning actress added.
It is unclear whether Natalie’s contract with Dior will be affected after her statement.
Do you think Natalie should be done with Dior entirely?