Hopefully you’ve never been that girl who blasts her music too loud while working out in the gym. We don’t have to remind you, but we will. It’s an etiquette sin. In that space that’s supposed to empower you to unwind and help you focus on your inner thoughts, the loud music beaming from your neighbor’s earbuds is truly pesky noise.
That’s just one of the things you have to be mindful of in the gym—Jay Cardiello, OK!’s Bangin’ Bods celebrity trainer, has a few more things he wants you to think about! From earbuds rules to the space you should take up (in feet!) while working out, Jay’s pointers will be helpful to remember.
- Stay in a 4×4 area. Jay says that this is the amount of space you should take up while doing weight-based workouts. The stuff you’ve got with you (meaning those bulky dumbbells and your duffel bag) should stay in this area, too. Basically, even though there are TVs bolted to the wall, know that the gym isn’t your living room.
- Do your laundry. Our expert tells us that a lot of people don’t wash their exercise clothes. No one wants to lay down on a bench that’s been previously coated with dirty clothes and sweat. Yuck.
- Try not to hog the cardio machines. “If you’re on the treadmill, limit your cardio time between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. You can do other things that are a lot more functional for the body than running on the elliptical for an hour when someone else is trying to use it,” explains Jay.
- Wipe down your machines! That tip should be pretty self-explanatory.
- Remember the volume of that music! “You might have a great voice, but also think about keeping things in that 4×4 space,” explains Jay.
What do you think of Jay’s gym etiquette tips? Have you been trying out the workout videos? Tweet @OKMagazine and leave a comment below!