Turning a Broadway musical into a movie can be a terrible idea, but that is anything but the case for the Clint Eastwood-directed Jersey Boys! Read this week’s OK! or OMG?! movie review, which will reveal 8 things that the movie will make you do/feel/like etc. You’ve been warned:
1. It’ll make you sing. I found myself literally bouncing in my seat starting from the opening credits, where “Oh, What a Night” plays. If the credits set the tone for the film, I’d give this one an A+.
2. It’ll make you realize how many Four Season songs you actually know. You probably can’t name one Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons song right now, but once you see the film you’ll finally realize that “Sherry,” “Big Girls Don’t Cry, “Walk Like a Man,” and “Oh, What a Night” were theirs. And you’ll recognize all the tunes from the first beat!
3. It’ll make you laugh. The show was for sure funny, but the movie might be even funnier. There’s one funny line in specific that’s in both the stage production and the film version that’s amazing. When Frankie and the other guys are deciding on a new band name, a sign lights up outside the bowling alley they’re at that reads, “The Four Seasons motel.” Frankie says, “Tommy, it’s a sign!” Get it? It made the audience crack up.
4. It’ll make you cry. The theater version focuses mostly on Frankie’s professional life with the group, but the movie version delves deeper into Frankie’s troubled marriage and tumultuous relationship with his oldest daughter. And those parts will make you weep, for sure.
5. It’ll make you reevaluate your own relationships and friendships. Frankie has a bit of a love/hate relationship with his bandmate Tommy DeVito, who turns out to be kind of a scumbag (that’s not a spoiler, that’s what happened in real life). Do you have someone in your life who sucks as much as Tommy does? Now’s the time to figure it all out.
6. It’ll make you want to live in the 1960′s. Hairspray probably made you feel this way, too. But the costumes in Jersey Boys are amazing. The pop culture back then was pretty great. And there’s a couple of hilarious scenes in the film where the guys refer to their record label exec as “odd: because back then nobody knew what gay was. Oh, how times have changed.
7. It’ll make you love New Jersey. Well, maybe not. As a Jersey Girl myself, I heavily enjoyed the thick accents and the references to various NJ towns that I’ve actually heard of. But even if you’re not from the North East, who wouldn’t want to take a trip to hotspot Belleville after this movie, you know?
8. It’ll make you want to see the Broadway show. You’ll love the movie whether or not you’ve seen the show because the music is catchy and the dialogue is fast-paced and funny. But there is nothing that compares to live musicals. John Lloyd Young, who plays Frankie in the movie and originated the role on Broadway, won a freakin’ Tony, people!
OK! or OMG?!: OMG, for sure, but don’t think that just because you see the movie means you don’t have to see the show, too! Both are equally worth it.
Jersey Boys is out now! Are you going to see the film? Have you seen the show? Tweet us @OKMagazine.