Less than a day after it was announced that Britney Spears would be making an appearance — but not performing — at Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards, it was confirmed that another singing superstar mom, Christina Aguilera, would both be showing up to the 25th annual ceremony and singing live.
"I’m very excited," said Christina about the news, which was announced at a press conference at Paramount Studios in L.A. Refering to her 8-month-old son Max Liron, Xtina said, "This will be his first time watching me perform on television, but only for a little while because he’s not really allowed to watch television yet. I’ll make an exception for the VMAs."
British comedian Russell Brand, who was on hand for the announcement, joked, "That kid is going to grow up with a hell of an Oedipus complex!"
In 2003, Christina and Britney made the list of most memorable VMA moments when they joined Madonna for a three-way, all-girl smooch after the Material Girl’s show-opening performance of a medley of her hits.
Also confirmed for Sunday’s ceremony:
• T.I. will perform with Rihanna.
• The Jonas Brothers (who Brand labeled "God’s favorite virgins") will perform and have asked to be introduced by Taylor Swift — a request that Brand joked was "made from below their sexy little waists."
• Katy Perry will perform Madonna’s pop classic "Like a Virgin."
• Pete Wentz will somehow be involved with the beginning of the show, "probably with his wife, who is pregnant" said Brand.
• Kanye West will close the show with a performance.
Check it all out when the VMAs air live on MTV, Sunday night at 9pm ET.