Minka Kelly and Jessica Alba embraced the updo in completely different ways at last night's Costume Institute Gala. Clear Scalp & Hair Beauty Therapy celebrity stylist Jen Atkin created each lady's look and shares step-by-step instructions for achieving the same glamour at home.
The Concept: “Jessica and I were so excited to collaborate on this look with the theme being punk. It let us go outside the lines with her hair,” says Jen.
• Start with the right foundation, a well-nourished scalp and hair. “To try this look at home, I recommend washing the day before styling,” says Jen. Rinse and condition with Clear Scalp Hair & Beauty Therapy Volumizing shampoo and conditioner.
• The next day, spray a dry shampoo on the roots to add more texture. “Texture is key to this look,” she says.
• Pull the top half of hair into a top knot, teasing the ponytail before knotting it.
• Next, French braid the back of hair. As you go along, tuck any excess hair underneath and secure with bobby pins.
• Once braided, Jen incorporated some Fallon jewelry into the look. “I loved these because the sharp edges on the arrows evoke a safety pin vibe, which is a punk rock staple,” says Jen.
• Finish by spritzing the bun with hairspray for added hold.
The Concept: “For Minka's look, our inspiration was punk meets traditional glamour. She has the best hair,” says Jen. “I wanted her hair up to show off the neckline on her dress and showcase the gorgeous dark lip she was wearing.”
• Spray hair with a beach spray and rough dry with your hands.
• Next, create a loose bend in your hair using a large NUMI curling iron on large sections of hair and a texture spray.
• Then, separate hair into four ponytails and braid each.
• Tease the braids by gently brushing them with a Sonia Kashuk brush to add fly aways and create a messier look.
• Wrap the braids around your head and secure with bobby pins. Let pieces fall around your hairline for a more undone look.
• Jen then added a gorgeous piece of jewelry from Fallon at the sides of her hair to complement the dress. “With punk being the theme, we could add more pops of sparkle and flash,” she explain.
• Finish with hairspray to set the look.
Whose coiff were you coveting from the Met Gala? Tell us in the comments below or tweet @OKMagazine.