American Hustle was the most over-the-top, fun, silly, star-studded movie of awards season this year, and all four of its star actors are nominated for Oscars. With the big night only a few days away, take a look at these fascinating, behind-the-scenes facts about the movie, which is based on a true story. Just be careful for SPOILERS AHEAD, if you haven’t seen the film!
1. It’s only the second film in more than thirty years to have nominees in all four acting categories. The last time it happened? David O. Russell’s film before American Hustle, Silver Linings Playbook, which came out last year. Nope, not even Titanic pulled that off! Furthermore, all four actors have been nominated for other David O. Russell films, including The Fighter.
2. Jennifer Lawrence‘s character, Rosalyn Rosenfield, was based on Cynthia Marie Weinberg, who killed herself shortly after the scam. In a 19-page suicide note to her lawyer, she claimed her husband (played by Christian Bale in the film) was lying.
3. Amy Adams‘ character, Sydney Prosser, was actually British. That certainly complicates the whole accent she puts on and off throughout the film, lying even to the guy she maybe likes.
4. The famous deep-V dresses that Amy Adams rocks throughout the film were a complicated choice for the film’s costume designer. “She got into such great shape for the film and she comes across in such a strong way, but we also liked that these provocative clothes also showed a little bit of vulnerability,” costume designer Michael Wilkinson told Entertainment Weekly. “When you’re dressed in such an extreme, eye-catching way, you’re putting yourself out on a limb… It’s dangerous and extreme.”
5. Christian Bale, who’s known for transforming his body to extremes for roles, gained 42 pounds for American Hustle, and slouched so much that he herniated a disc in his back. He looked so different that Robert DeNiro didn’t recognize him on set.
Did you see American Hustle? What was your favorite movie this awards season? Do you know any other facts about the movie? Tell us in the comments below or tweet us @OKMagazine.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!