OK LogoROYALS

Martin Bashir Denies Harming Princess Diana With Controversial BBC Interview: It Was 'As She Wanted'

May. 23 2021, Published 11:41 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

It's been 26 years since journalist Martin Bashir scored the televised interview of a lifetime when he sat down with Princess Diana for the notorious royal tell-all. Now Bashir and the BBC are being slammed following the damning publication of the 127-page report from former High Court Judge Lord Dyson

Article continues below advertisement

The report claimed that Bashir and the BBC allegedly used deceptive methods — including made-up bank statements purportedly showing palace staffers accepting payment for stories about her — to secure the controversial 1995 interview. (Prince William quickly weighed on the report, as OK! previously reported.)

Article continues below advertisement
report claims the bbc used deceptive methods and lies to secure princess diana interview martin bashir slammed
Source: MEGA

Also in the report, it's stated that the BBC played into Diana's fear and paranoia at the time. However, Bashir isn't having any of it and slashed back to the Sunday Times, claiming no wrongdoing on his part in securing the exclusive interview. “I never wanted to harm Diana in any way and I don’t believe we did,” he insisted.

Article continues below advertisement

The journalist, who also made a name for himself for his now-infamous Michael Jackson interview, denied any part in providing Diana with fake documents and/or fake phone calls placed to Diana. An unapologetic Bashir says, "Even in the early 1990s, there were stories and secretly recorded phone calls. I wasn't the source of any of that."

The interview, in which the princess exposed her crumbling relationship with Prince Charles, wasn't something she didn't want to do nor was it meant to harm her, according to Bashir. He said, "Everything we did in terms of the interview was as she wanted, from when she wanted to alert the palace, to when it was broadcast, to its contents." 

Article continues below advertisement

He also said that he and his family loved the princess and remained close even after the interview aired. "I don't feel I can be held responsible for many of the other things that were going on in her life, and the complex issues surrounding those decisions," Bashir said.   

Article continues below advertisement

It's worth nothing that Bashir does give a half-hearted apology to William and Prince Harry over the interview with their mother. Still, his words run dry when he added: "I can understand the motivation [of Earl Spencer, Diana's brother] but to channel the tragedy, the difficult relationship between the royal family and the media purely on to my shoulders feels a little unreasonable... the suggestion I am singularly responsible I think is unreasonable and unfair." 

Bashir told the paper that he wishes the interview to remembered as an ode to Diana and not what he allegedly did wrong. "The saddest thing is that all of this crap built on my stupidity... people haven't focused on the remarkable things she did."

He ended his 'it's not my fault, don't blame me' interview by saying he's "properly repentant" for what has happened.

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. OK! is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.