25 Random Things About Me
I'm sure most of you are by now aware there's a chain email going around Facebook asking the recipients to write a note listing 25 random things about themselves. Kim Kardashian's was even published in a magazine this week. I'd been blowing this off, but with uninterrupted time on a train from Boston to NYC today, without a blackberry (it was finally replaced when I arrived!) or attainable internet access, I started listing. Here it is...
25 Random Things About Me:
1. If I wasn't a journalist I would have wanted to (don’t laugh) pursue neurology research, really. The brain, and the still undiscovered things the parts we don’t use can do, fascinates me.
2. I was inspired to move to LA for the love of sunshine and love being a Texas-bred New Yorker living in LA.
3. I got an acoustic guitar from my family for Hanukah/Christmas and, inspired by a trip to Nashville and Guitar Hero, hope to learn to play and write a best-selling song someday.
4. In grade school I'd call in sick or go to the nurse's office days we'd have to run track. Now I jog regularly and hope to do a half marathon one of these days.
5. I'm truly gracious every day for my amazing family, friends and good fortune. Friendships should be based on quality over quantity and I've been blessed with both.
6. I stalked Walter Cronkite for a day in college trying to get 'the most trust man in America' to give me his autograph - on a letter of recommendation.
for a day in college.
7. I chew an abnormal amount of gum. My favorite flavor is Orbit’s Sweet Mint.
8. I’m nocturnal and most productive at night, but having coffee and reading a newspaper or two in the morning is my favorite time of day.
9. I work best when multi-tasking – I’m a true Gemini.
10. I’ve started several books and finished none but have faith that one of these days I’ll find the patience to complete one – and hopefully publish it.
11. My favorite magazines (apart from the one I write for, of course) are Mental Floss (thanks Katie C.) and American Scientific Mind.
12. I’m a Sir Richard Branson groupie. I admire him, am inspired by him and feel happy and privileged to be a peripheral part of his Virgin family.
13. I’m a Lakers fan. Pau Gasol is my favorite player.
14. I dislike the Mets more than I like any baseball team.
15. I have blond eyelashes and feel bad for boys with blond eyelashes who can’t wear mascara.
16. I like black coffee and red wine.
17. The Enchantment Resort in Sedona, AZ is the first place I felt at all spiritual. I think it’s magical and may be my favorite place in the world.
18. My least favorite word is ‘hate.’ My least favorite phrase is, “It’s not fair.’
19. I’ve once briefly interviewed Angelina Jolie and yes, she really is that cool and beautiful.
20. David Bowie, Christian Slater and Oprah Winfrey are the only stars to ever me starstruck.
21. I once auditioned for Survivor – in a bikini in Times Square when it was 18 degrees.
22. The saddest day of my life to date was when my dog Scruffy passed away the day before I came home from college.
22. I love a great massage.
23.I like projects, putting people together and making things happen.
24. I wish I knew a non-fiction “Dr. House” to fix a couple of people I love who I think need him.
25. I have a blog I’m trying to be better at maintaining. It’s Simplyjen at okmagazine.com. The premise is I’m simply jen, an ordinary girl living an extraordinary life :) xo