BREAKING NEWS
OK LogoNEWS

David Beckham Didn't Make The British Olympic Soccer Team

David beckham june28.jpg

Jun. 28 2012, Published 3:16 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to FlipboardShare to Email

Tough luck, Becks!

David Beckham wasn't selected as a part of Stuart Pearce's 18-man soccer team set to compete in this year's summer Olympics in London. While he made the shortlist, only three players over the age of 23 were allowed to participate, and Stuart chose Micah Richards, Craig Bellamy and Ryan Giggs.

OK! GALLERY: DAVID BECKHAM RETURNS TO THE SOCCER FIELD (FULLY CLOTHED) AFTER SEXY SUPER BOWL AD

Article continues below advertisement

"Everyone knows how much playing for my country has always meant to me. So I would have been honored to have been part of this unique Team GB squad," David said in a statement. "Naturally I am very disappointed, but there will be no bigger supporter of the team than me. And like everyone, I will be hoping they can win the gold."

"As a Londoner, I will have been really proud to have played a small part in bringing the Olympics to my home town as part of Seb's Coe team, and I can't wait for the games to begin and enjoy every moment along with the rest of Great Britain."

MORE ON:
Get Scoop

The news is likely to sting even more, considering David was instrumental in bringing the Olympics to the UK and even accompanied the Olympic torch from Athens to Cornwall last month.

While David and his celebrity wife Victoria "Posh" Beckham are no doubt international celebrities and pop culture figureheads in their own right, Stuart said in not so many words that star appeal would not affect the decision.

OK! NEWS: DAVID BECKHAM SHIRTLESS AND WET FOR JULY ELLE UK

"I'm picking on form and merit alone,” he said “David Beckham will be treated exactly the same as any other individual, whether it is young or over age. I have a duty of care to the Great Britain squad to try to win a gold medal. I will pick the strongest squad I can.”

Long-time Becks fans, however, will still likely see his handsome face on TV this summer. Organizers are rumored to be brainstorming ways to incorporate him, even if it's only in the opening ceremony.

Advertisement

Want OK! each day? Sign up here!

More From OK! Magazine

    Opt-out of personalized ads

    © Copyright 2024 OK!™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. OK! is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.