In an interview with Meredith Vieira on the Today show in NYC Monday, Kate Gosselin said she can’t pay her bills and is broke after Jon Gosselin nearly emptied their joint bank account.

“He took $230,000 of the $231,000 we had,” Kate said while trying to hold back tears. “I have a stack of bills. The last thing I wanted was to do this show and end up not being able to pay our bills.”

Kate said the account contained all of their liquid assets and he took all but $1,000 last week after TLC made the announcement that the show would be changed to only Kate Plus Eight.

“He has gone way far off the trail … Obviously, I am very upset. I can’t sleep at night. I can’t pay my bills. I think he’s receiving bad advice. I think he’s making bad decisions,” Kate told Vieira.

Kate also confirmed that she had previously removed $100,000 from the account to keep it safe earlier this year.

“I removed it to keep it safe,” Kate said. “I had taken $100,000 and put it aside safely so I could buy my kids food if needed.”

However, she put it back because their separation agreement prevents one spouse from doing so without the other’s authorization.

Kate’s attorneys said they plan on going to court in Pennsylvania Monday morning to force Jon to return the money to the account.  Jon’s attorneys said he took money that he was entitled to and there will be additional “significant” funds he feels he has the right to take.

Kate said, “It’s wonderful to say he’ll be awarded significant funds. However, there are not significant funds to be awarded.”

As for the show, it remains suspended and Kate said the children want to continue despite Jon’s claim to the contrary.

“There was wailing and sobbing,” said Kate, adding, “The children love our crew. They are angry.”

Now Kate is worried about how she will pay the family’s bills. “Never did I think I’d be back in the position of not being able to provide for them.”

Sound off in the comments below!

Join the conversation