‘Roseanne’ Spinoff Officially Confirmed — But Roseanne Barr Is Out
The news comes weeks after the actress’ racist tweet scandal.
One bad apple doesn’t have to ruin the bunch.
On Thursday, June 21, ABC confirmed that it greenlit ‘The Conners.” The spinoff will premiere in the fall with the original Roseanne reboot’s cast including, John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman.
The news comes nearly a month after Roseanne’s racist tweet scandal.
“I regret the circumstances that have caused me to be removed from Roseanne,” Roseanne said in a statement following news of the reboot. “I agreed to the settlement in order that 200 jobs of beloved cast and crew could be saved, and I wish the best for everyone involved.”
Last month, the 65-year-old actress posted a racist tweet targeted at former Obama aide, Valerie Jarrett. She wrote if the “muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.”
ABC quickly took action, canceling the revival of the hit sitcom hours after the tweet was published.
While Roseanne later apologized, ABC’s entertainment president, Channing Dungey, said in a statement that “Roseanne’s Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values.”
As for the reboot, the returning Roseanne cast members could not be more thrilled for the show’s return.
“We have received a tremendous amount of support from fans of our show, and it’s clear that these characters not only have a place in our hearts, but in the hearts and homes of our audience,” John, Laurie, Sara, Lecy and Michael said in a joint statement. “We all came back last season because we wanted to tell stories about the challenges facing a working-class family today. We are so happy to have the opportunity to return with the cast and crew to continue to share those stories through love and laughter.”
Will you be tuning in to the reboot? Sound off in the comments!