NEWSZac Efron Cuts Footloose

March 23 2009, Published 9:57 a.m. ET
Zac Efron must have had his fill of musicals – despite earlier reports that the hot High School Musical star would be putting on Kevin Bacon's sneakers for a remake of Footloose, that plan has apparentl been scrapped.
The Wrap reports that Zac told he studio last week he's done with musicals, and that he had script approval on the movie, and used a rewrite as a loophole to get out of his contract.
“People had been working on this project since last July -- we were all shocked," a senior member of the production team tells the site.”
- Dolores Catania Dishes on the 'Unfiltered' Cast of 'The Real Housewives of Rhode Island': 'They're Not Worried About What the World Is Going to Think'
- Keith Urban Filled With Regret and Jealousy Over Nicole Kidman Split as She's Linked to a String of Young Hollywood Hunks
- OK! Reveals the Hollywood 'Toyboy' Helping Nicole Kidman Through the Agony of Her Keith Urban Divorce
Want OK! each day? Sign up here!
In a statement, Paramount says: "Footloose is a project we've longed to see re-booted for a new generation. While Zac is no longer attached, we remain excited and committed to the collective brain trust of Kenny Ortega, Neil Meron and Craig Zaden, who will reinvigorate the franchise. Their fresh take on the film will undoubtedly be filled with the same kind of breakout performances that we’ve come to expect from them.”


