TRUE CRIME NEWS'Imma Shoot the School Up Tmr': Shocking Texts Kept From Jury in Austin Metcalf Murder Trial Reveal Hidden Threats and Deals

Karmelo Anthony was sentenced to 35 years in prison for the April 2025 killing of Austin Metcalf.
Aug. 22 2026, Published 1:19 p.m. ET
Disturbing text messages sent by Karmelo Anthony were reportedly kept from the jury during his murder trial.
Anthony, 19, was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years in prison for the April 2025 fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Austin Metcalf during a high school track meet following a heated confrontation.
Karmelo Anthony Is Seeking a New Trial

Karmelo Anthony was convicted of first-degree murder earlier this summer.
According to WFAA, Anthony spoke about shooting up his school in Texas in a 2023 text message.
“Imma shoot the school up tmr,” he penned. The messages were unveiled in Collin County, Tex., during a recent hearing to see if the athlete would be given a new trial.
Austin Metcalf Reportedly Had a Juvenile Criminal History

Austin Metcalf was killed in April 2025.
Other menacing messages, reports of stalking by an ex-girlfriend and Anthony's seemingly violent nature were apparently also kept quiet.
Among other things that were not brought up in the trial included Metcalf’s juvenile criminal history involving racist graffiti.
The deal to not bring up some of these matters was described as a “gentleman’s agreement” between the defense and prosecution.
Prosecutor Bill Wirskye said during the recent hearing the deal was made to “keep things clean" as Anthony’s new lawyer Russell Wilson interrogated him on the stand. Wilson also asked Wirskye about the alleged “shadow docket” Wilson claimed corrupted the June trial, according to the New York Post.
- Hayden Panettiere’s Abusive Lover Called Out for Drug Use in Court Just 3 Days Before Her Death — As DEA Overdose Probe Heats Up
- As Jury Prepares to Vote on Lindsay Clancy, Legal Analyst Says Verdict Depends on Whether She Was 'Criminally Responsible'
- Inside Lindsay Clancy's Psych Ward Life: Her Visitor Log and More
Want OK! each day? Sign up here!
Karmelo Anthony Was Sentenced to 35 Years in Prison in June

Austin Metcalf reportedly had a juvenile criminal history.
That same understanding allegedly kept evidence from ever being disclosed, including threatening texts from Anthony. One message reportedly had him sending his ex-girlfriend a photo of a knife after she told a vice principal he was stalking her just hours before Metcalf's killing.
These were not presented to the jury in the June trial in which Anthony was deemed guilty of first-degree murder.
According to Houston Public Media, in exchange for prosecutors not using specific evidence against Anthony in court, defense lawyers agreed not to mention Metcalf’s own criminal history.
This reportedly included spray-painted graffiti of an upside down cross, the N-word, “KKK,” “Kill all Black people,” and “Heil H-----." Metcalf and his twin brother, Hunter, were sentenced to 12 months probation for the incident.

Karmelo Anthony is hoping to be granted a new trial.
“I offered the agreement,” Wirskye said. “Let’s stay away from historical character and stick to the facts — what happened under the tent.” Wilson argued the deal kept Anthony from taking the stand.
Wirskye also accused defense attorney Mike Howard of violating their agreement when he raised questions about Anthony’s grades and chess hobby in opening arguments. Howard wrote in an affidavit this led to inquiries about Anthony's personal life should he ever testify.
Wilson then argued the June trial was impaired by strict courtroom rules and unsuitable jury regulations.


