There was a ton of high-end fashion happening on last night’s VMAs red carpet (Versace, Pucci, Givenchy), but there was also a great deal of affordable makeup being used to create the stars’ standout beauty looks! Celebrity makeup artists Jo Baker and Gloria Noto helped get Naya Rivera and Shailene Woodley ready for the show with NP Set and Pixi products, which are all available at Target for under $35 each. See, beauty can come at a bargain price!
“Naya Rivera’s vintage cut-out dress inspired me to throw back a little ’70s disco glamour to create a ‘Gun Metal Glamour’ look,” said Baker.
- Prep the Proactiv+ 3-Step System, leaving it smooth and free of acne-causing bacteria.
- Naya had traveled from LA to NY, so Jo used Proactiv Replenishing Eye Serum—a green tea antioxidant concoction—around the orbital bone to restore her tired eyes.
- She then used Proactiv Smoothing Primer to give Naya’s skin an impeccable finish before applying foundation.
- Jo emphasized Naya’s intense eyes with a showstopping molten metal reflection by layering dark shades of NP Set Day to Night Palette over her eye lid, blending the edges.
- She then went over the top with NP Set All That Glitters Gel Duo in ‘Sao Paulo’ to add depth and shimmer to the eye.
- Around Naya’s lash line, Jo smudged Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pen in ‘Black Noir’ and then curled her lashes.
- Several coats of NP Set Glamorista Mascara were applied to create a great base before adding some fluttery lashes.
- Jo also used NP Set It Takes Two Concealer & Foundation Pot to create a flawless base to keep the look velvety smooth for hours.
- Then, she applied NP Set Contour & Highlight Palette to provide beige through to warm bronzy tones on her cheek bones.
- For shinier spots, NP Set Pasarella Powder Foundation was applied with a soft small fluffy brush to set her look.
- She finished the look with Pixi Succulent Lip Twin in ‘Opal Orchid’ to create a neutral soft pinky lip.
“I wanted to create a statement makeup look, focusing on the eyes, so I chose to create modern, smoky, elongated cat eyes with a wet, edgy, gunmetal look,” said Noto.
- Apply Pixi Lid Last Shadow Pen in ‘Mocha Mauve’ to the entire eyelid area and blend.
- Next, rim the eye with Pixi Lid Last Shadow Pen in ‘Graphite Glint,’ then blend both shades together.
- Apply the matte taupe shade in the Pixi Shade Quartette in Shades of Taupe, blending out the edges of the eye and up to the brow.
- Used the two darker metallic shades on the eyelids for an edgy, wet look and use the light shade in the palette to add definition to the cheek bones.
- Pat the darkest shade in the NP Set Eye Palette (‘Atlanta’) around the outer eyelid and use the Pixi Lid and Line in Smoky Black to line the inner water line and upper lash line. This creates a definitive break from the brown and gray shades used in the eye shadows, further defining the eyes.
- Use the white and peach shades within the Pixi Eye Bright Kit to highlight the cheekbones and around the mouth. This works to pull the mouth forward, making the lips appear larger.
- Then, layer NP Set Pasarella Mascara in Black on the top and bottom lashes for volume and apply the matte gray shade in the Pixi Shade Quartette in Shades of Taupe to the temples to further contour the face.
- To round out the look, apply Pixi Beauty Bronzer + Kabuki Brush in ‘Summertime’ along the forehead and jaw line giving a bit of warmth to the face.
- Around the inner rim of the eyelids, use the Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pen in ‘Oyster Glow’ for added sparkle, then used a small makeup brush to gently buff some of the same color above the upper lip.
Who do you think had the best makeup last night at the VMAs? Were you loving Naya or Shailene’s eye more? Sound off in the comments below or tweet us @OKMagazine!
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!