American Idol fans are eagerly awaiting the highly-anticipated Season 10 premiere of the hit Fox singing competition (airing tonight), but many have also been concerned about Season 9 contestant, Alex Lambert. Last night, Alex told followers on Twitter that he was “kinda homeless” since finishing his work on Simon Fuller‘s Hulu reality series, If I Could Dream (which ended last October). However, Alex’s living situation isn’t as dire as many feared. A spokesperson for 19 Entertainment, an Idol production company, set the record straight.
“He’s not homeless. I don’t know where that came from,” the spokesperson told Entertainment Weekly, recognizing that Alex did Tweet those messages.
The original Tweets Alex posted on his feed were very direct in nature, suggesting he was a vagrant with nowhere to live.
”Alright so I didn’t want to bring my person life to my fans but I’m about to freak out if I don’t tell yall the truth!” he wrote. “Ever since IICD ended I’ve been kinda homeless! Sleepin on the street and behind buildings.”
The 140-character messages kept flowing, and Alex even admitted he is “usually a strong person but I can’t take it anymore.”
He added: “I just want my fans to know that I’m not an American Idol type person!” And concluded, “I just want y’all to know the truth!”
The spokesperson for 19 Entertainment also explained that Alex’s development deal with 19, should have the means to pay for housing:
“He’s on a retainer, and he’s getting money every month. He’s working on demos. He’s with writers, he’s working on music.”
The rep reiterated: “He’s not homeless. How could he be texting? How could he be going into recording studio and sleeping on the streets? There’s no record deal yet, but hopefully these demos something could come from that.”
Alex also clarified his previous Tweets — about 15 hours after his previous messages made waves —, putting everyone’s concerns to rest.
“Sorry for the miscommunication;) I’m just fine! MAHALO!” Adam Tweeted early today, followed by a new string of Tweets explaining his current situation.
• I’m lookin for a place now!! I didn’t mean for it to be this big of a deal!! I regret postin all that! Everything’ll be fine!
• I know alot of people think I tweeted my living situation for publicity! But I don’t give a damn about fame!
• I dont give a damn about money either! I have never had any and I’ve been just fine! The money that I was makin and have made I have sent
• home for my Mother and my 3 broke ass brothers sleepin on the ground! I just wanted the people that loved me to know what was really goin on
• I’m real! And I don’t lie! and I would never lie to yall!(yall being my supporters who got my back through thick and thin) Fuck yeah I was
• sleepin outside! That shit sucks too! I’m goin back home to get my shit together! But I will be back! And I’m comin strong! LETS DO THIS!
• I didn’t mean to say broke ass brothers! I’m sorry Trenton Trevor and Spencer! I’m gonna stop tweeting now cuz I’m an idiot!
Do you think Alex is Tweeting too much about his personal life? Share in the comments.
American Idol Season 10, the auditions, starts tonight at 8 p.m. on Fox.