The District Attorney in San Diego has decided not to press charges against San Diego Charger star Shawne Merriman following allegations made by Tila Tequila that he choked and assaulted her last weekend.

“After a thorough review of the investigation into the Sept. 6, 2009 incident at the Poway home of Shawne Merriman, our office has determined there is insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that any crime was committed,” D.A. Bonnie Dumanis said in a statement.

Shawne’s attorneys have maintained that their client was attempt to keep Tila from driving a car while impaired. However, her lawyers said earlier this week, “It is never justifiable to brutally assault, choke, strike and imprison a woman. Once the truth is fully revealed, Mr. Merriman’s fantastic story of how he was trying to keep Ms. Tequila safe will be completely discredited.”

Last night, Tila released a voice message to her fans thanking them for their support in recent days.

Sound off in the comments below!

Join the conversation