PoliticsMike Lindell Says He's Ready to Spend 'Upwards of $1 Million' on Recount After 11-Point Minnesota Loss

Mike Lindell was previously sued by various voting machine companies for defamation following the 2020 election.
Aug. 20 2026, Published 3:51 p.m. ET
Donald Trump ally Mike Lindell is reportedly ready to drop a serious chunk of change on a full recount after losing Minnesota’s GOP governor primary.
Lindell, 45, told NBC News on Wednesday, August 19, that he hired his own team to begin investigating the Republican primary, which was held on August 11.
Mike Lindell Prepared to Pay 'Upwards of $1 Million'

Mike Lindell reportedly lost by 45,000 votes to Lisa Demuth.
The primary projected House Speaker Lisa Demuth as the race's winner, with Lindell claiming that he reached out to the Minnesota Secretary of State’s office to ask for a cost estimate for a recount.
Demuth, 59, reportedly beat Lindell by about 45,000 votes, per the outlet.
Lauren Bethke, the Secretary of State's general counsel, reportedly told Lindell that a full hand recount and audit would cost around $850,000.
Lindell told the outlet that he believed the amount would reach "upwards of $1 million" due to additional costs, including his own investigation team for the gubernatorial race, which he was prepared to pay.
Mike Lindell's Request Has Yet to Be Received

Mike Lindell planned to send 'observers' to oversee the recount process.
The Secretary of State's office reported that they had not received an official request for the recount, which required a "bond, cash or surety" for the estimated cost by Monday to move the process along.
Lindell claimed he planned to "personally" deliver the official request on Monday, August 24, adding that he was waiting for the office to confirm "where each county would hold its recounts," as he planned to assign designated observers to the locations to oversee the operations.
Want OK! each day? Sign up here!
Mike Lindell Claimed There Was 'Irregularities' in Election Data

Mike Lindell claimed his team found 'irregularities' in election data.
Lindell made headlines on Tuesday, August 18, when he claimed his team found several "irregularities" in the election data, which he believed stemmed from the electronic voting machines.
"Even if this recount and audit does not overturn my election for governor of Minnesota, I believe this is the gateway to getting rid of these electronic voting machines," he said in a news release.
Mike Lindell Was Sued for Defamation by Several Voting Machine Companies

Mike Lindell was ordered to pay more than $50,000 to Smartmatic USA Corp. in September 2025.
Lindell made similar accusations following the 2020 election, resulting in several lawsuits from voting machine companies.
In September 2025, Lindell was ordered to pay Smartmatic USA Corp. $56,369 after the voting machine company sued him for defamation.
Lindell, who has said in court filings that he doesn't have the financial means to pay Smartmatic, is asking his supporters to help pay for the $1 million recount fee.


