ROYAL FAMILY NEWS'It’s a Huge Slap in the Face for William': Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s U.K. Return Sparks 'Serious' Monarchy Risks, Says Royal Reporter

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s U.K. return reportedly threatens Prince William and the monarchy.
Aug. 20 2026, Published 7:34 a.m. ET
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reported return to the U.K. is already raising questions about the royal family and what the move could mean for the monarchy.
Royal reporter Tom Sykes believes the couple’s plans could create new challenges for Prince William, particularly given his long-running tensions with his younger brother.
“It’s a huge slap in the face for William, and it does also create serious risks for the monarchy,” Sykes said.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly planning to spend an extended period in the U.K. with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet.
According to Sykes, Harry and Meghan’s return could put the Prince of Wales in an increasingly complicated position as he prepares for his future role as king.
“What is gonna happen if Charles invites Harry to join the royal family for Christmas? What is gonna happen if Harry wants to attend the Remembrance Day celebrations?” he asked.
Royal Reporter Questions King Charles’ Decision

Royal reporter Tom Sykes believes the couple’s return could create additional challenges for Prince William and the monarchy.
Sykes also questioned how the couple’s plans came together and whether King Charles III was aware of what was happening.
The reporter said there was “no way” the monarch “did not know” about the move.
He described the situation as “very very dangerous” and argued that Charles “allowed himself to be manipulated into welcoming them home.” Sykes also claimed that “there’s no way” the late Queen Elizabeth II would have approved of the arrangement.
While Sykes suspected that “something was afoot” with Harry and Meghan, he admitted that he “never imagined it would be anything of this magnitude or they’d be happening this quickly.”
The royal reporter also called the possibility of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex relocating by the end of August “quite extraordinary.”
- Prince William Threatened to 'Boycott Sandringham' and Shunned Key Gathering With King Charles After Learning of Meghan Markle's U.K. Return: Source
- Meghan Markle Is 'Unbothered' by Prince William’s Recent Olive Branch to Prince Harry
- Prince William and Kate Middleton 'to Go into Hiding' If Sussexes Bring Their 'Circus to Town' in Britain This Summer
Want OK! each day? Sign up here!
Harry and Meghan Plan Extended U.K. Stay

King Charles was reportedly made aware of Harry and Meghan’s plans and is said to welcome spending more time with them privately.
Harry and Meghan stepped down as working members of the royal family in 2020 before moving to the United States.
Now, the couple is reportedly preparing for a significant change.
As OK! previously reported, Meghan and William are expected to return to the U.K. with their two children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, for an "extended amount of time" beginning this month, according to People.
The children are reportedly expected to attend school in Britain starting in September. Harry and Meghan are also said to be looking for a private, non-royal home in the U.K., although the location and the children’s schools are reportedly being kept private.
King Charles was reportedly "made aware" of Harry and Meghan’s plans on Sunday, August 16. According to reports, the monarch "welcomes" the chance to spend more time with his son and grandchildren in a "private and personal capacity."
However, the couple’s return does not change their official status.
The monarch was reportedly "clear" that Harry and Meghan remain private individuals and non-working members of the royal family.
Harry and Meghan Reportedly Want to Rebuild Trust

Harry and Meghan are reportedly considering a public apology to King Charles as they work to rebuild trust after years of family tensions.
The Sussexes are also reportedly planning to make a public apology to Charles as they attempt to repair their relationship with the monarch.
The move would be part of an effort to "rebuild trust" after years of public disagreements and revelations.
Still, reaching an agreement on the wording could prove difficult.
"The challenge is finding language that gives the King the respect he wants without forcing Harry and Meghan to walk back every interview, documentary or page of Spare," a separate source said.
Harry’s memoir, Spare, along with the couple’s interviews and Netflix documentary, has brought several private family tensions into the public eye.


