Katy Perry has been hitting the mark with her beauty looks time after time after time and her “Unconditionally” music video offers another breathtaking style. Celebrity makeup artist Jake Bailey created the look for Katy and explains how they came up with the inspiration for it.
“For this video, Katy and I wanted to create something romantic yet dramatic to reflect the style and lighting of the video,” says Jake. “For this set up I chose to go with alabaster skin, ethereal pink cheeks and a deep matte lip for dramatic impact. I kept the eyes simple with a coat of black mascara and a light dusting of warm taupe eyeshadow.”
Jake offers up his step-by-step instructions:
• I first prepped her skin with Olay Fresh Effects “Long Live Moisture” Satin Finish Moisturizer. Since this was a matte look the satin finish was ideal under foundation to keep it looking fresh and matte minimizing the need for powder reapplications throughout the shoot.
• I perfected her skin and lightened it a shade using CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-In-1 Foundation in Classic Ivory. This foundation has great coverage, so I only had to use a small amount and spread it thinly all over her face and neck using a small flat tipped kabuki style foundation brush. The “outlast” aspect is ideal for long shoot days as it really does stay put requiring minimal touch ups.
• Before applying blush I finished the foundation with a light dusting of CoverGirl + Olay Pressed Powder in Fair. It’s important to powder before applying blush so that the blush will blend easily and evenly. I then swirled CoverGirl Cheekers Blush in Classic Pink all over her outer cheeks and temples.
• For her simple eye, I first blended a sheer amount of CoverGirl Flamed Out Shadow Pot in Melted Caramel across her lids and into the crease. I finished the eyes with a coat of CoverGirl’s brand new Bombshell Volume by Lash Blast mascara in Very Black to her top and bottom lashes. When you have big expressive eyes like Katy, sometimes all you need is a coat of super-dark mascara to make them pop.
• I finished the look with a deep cranberry lip. I mixed equal parts CoverGirl LipPerfection in Euporia and Tempt to create the perfect shade. I then blotted her lips with a powdered tissue to set and mattify the lip.
What’s your favorite Katy Perry video look? Tell us in the comments or tweet @OKMagazine.