Perhaps you’ve heard: The Fault in Our Stars movie hits theaters this weekend! Excitement for the film is an all-time fever pitch, so here’s yet another way to get psyched about it: by reading all these fascinating facts about the upcoming adaptation of the best-selling book by John Green.
1. The title comes straight from Shakespeare.
In the book, a character quotes the Bard’s line which the title borrows from: “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings.” The idea being, hey, stupid kids dying with cancer, don’t fall in love with each other! Ah, well…
2. The book has spent 78 consecutive weeks on the New York Times best-seller list.
Which is why you’ll be seeing it in your airport book stores for years to come.
3. This is director Josh Boone’s first major movie.
And only his second movie ever. He better deliver! Talk about pressure.
4. Shailene Woodley begged to be in the movie.
The crew weren’t sure she was right for the film—too athletic, too healthy-looking, too pretty—but she was dying to be a part of the production. She wrote an incredibly long letter to author John Green asking to be included somehow.
5. She also donated her hair after cutting it for the role.
Shailene plays a cancer patient, so she chopped off her long, thick hair, and donated it to Children with Hair Loss.
6. John Green was inspired by working in a children’s hospital.
He was a student chaplain in a kids’ hospital, and later met a teen suffering from thyroid cancer when he was an adult attending a YA book event. She died at age 16, and the two experiences moved him to create the book.
7. Star Ansel Elgort got his start in ballet.
He appeared in The Nutcracker when he was just 9 years old.
8. Director Josh Boone was most nervous about messing up the trophy-breaking scene.
“I was terrified. I didn’t know if it was gonna work, I didn’t know if it was gonna be too big,” said Boone.
9. Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort played siblings in another blockbuster.
They’re lovers in TFiOS, but they were brother and sister in Divergent back in March. Hey, chemistry is chemistry, right?
10. Shailene Woodley smoked pot for the first time in Amsterdam.
The film shot on location in the Netherlands, and Shailene admitted: “The first time I ever smoked weed was in Amsterdam, actually, which is so cliché.”
11. John Green’s favorite scenes in the movie come from Nat Wolff.
He listed Nat’s subtle comedic delivery in two key scenes as the best parts of the film.
12. Nat Wolff starred on a Nickelodeon show.
Fans watched him grow up, along with his brother Alex, on the sort of reality show The Naked Brothers Band. The siblings still have a band to this day.
13. John Green had a cameo in the film, but it was cut.
The author played the dad of the little girl who asked about Hazel’s breathing tubes at the airport on the way to Amsterdam. Maybe it’ll be on the DVD?
14. Every single one of John Green’s books has been optioned for a film.
But don’t get too excited about seeing them on the big screen any time soon. As he explains on his website, most of them are trapped in different stages of studio negotiations or purgatory.
15. Nat Wolff went Method for his role as Isaac.
He tried wearing an eye patch, then just went fully through his day with his eyes closed to practice being blind. He wears blackout contact lenses in the movie.
16. The movie is already breaking records.
It doesn’t open until Friday, but The Fault in Our Stars is already the best-selling love story in Fandango’s history.
Are you excited to see The Fault in Our Stars this weekend? Did you read the book? Do you think people should read the book first before seeing the movie? Tell us in the comments below or tweet us @OKMagazine.