The first chapter of Melissa Gorga's book Love Italian Style: The Secrets of My Hot and Happy Marriage is circulating and I have to admit I was feeling really anxious prior to reading it. The thing is I want it to be good. I don't like to see people fail. Putting your marriage on display (no pun intended) and offering advice to other couples kind of sets a girl up to be mocked. In the words of her sister-in-law, I just want to love, love, love. Fortunately I breathed a sigh of relief upon discovering much of the first chapter offers Melissa's back story rather than delving into any marriage topics. Here are nine things I learned from chapter one:
• Melissa's dad Anthony and hubby Joe have many similarities—both are Leos who worked/work in construction, Italian and from New Jersey.
• Her family was the first on their block in Toms River, NJ to have a Lincoln Town Car (#ballers!).
• Melissa's parents were high school sweethearts.
• Her sisters Kim and Lysa are 10 and 12 years older than her, respectively. (How did I not already know this as a RHONJ fan?)
• One thing you do not want to do in Toms River is make the varsity cheerleading squad as a freshman. Girls will cut you, seriously.
• Melissa and her parents planned a welcomed move to Boca Raton, FL while she was in high school.
• Floridians think New Jersey girls are slutty.
• Teresa Giudice has nothing on teenage girls from Boca, who literally attacked Melissa because they thought she was slutting around with their boyfriends (she wasn't.) Mental note: If you ever need female recruits for MMA fights, perhaps you may want to start your search in Boca.
• Melissa's father was finishing up some things in New Jersey while she and her mom settled in Florida when he was involved in the tragic car accident that took his life.