Reese Witherspoon has long been known as America’s sweetheart, but much has changed since her Legally Blonde years.
The actress, 38, landed the October cover of Vogue wearing a red eyelet dress, minimal makeup and her hair in retro-style waves, where she discussed her evolving career at length.
The mother-of-3 is no longer focused on the types of films that used to earn her an upwards of $20 million, but rather going the “indie route.” She’s currently working on Wild, a film based on Cheryl Strayed’s memoir about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. With racy sex scenes and drug use, it’s a far cry from the southern belle persona the world has come to associate with the Walk the Line Oscar-winner.
“When people underestimate me, it’s actually a comfortable place for me,” the October cover star told Vogue. “‘Oh, that’s what you think I am; well, no, I’m not.’ I’m a complex human being. I have many different shades.”
Here are 5 things Reese also revealed in her interview. The October issue of Vogue hits newsstands October 1.
1. Sofia Vergara, who will star alongside Reese in a comedy film, called the petite starlet (who is only 5-feet-two!) “My Little Pony.”
2. She thinks her youngest son Tennessee looks like a “blond version” of husband, Jim Toth. “The older he gets, the more and more he looks like him. So cute.”
3. One director she refused to name refused her for a part because she was “too ‘Southern and sweet and huge.’”
4. Witherspoon, an Episcopalian, brings her children to church and has parental blocks on their computers.
5. She hired a hypnotist to help her through the filming of sex scenes in Wild.
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!