OK! can confirm that the Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood actor, 57, filed a petition on Tuesday, August 31, contesting a previous decision to disqualify the judge presiding over the custody case with his ex-wife. (The former couple share Maddox, 19, Pax, 17, Zahara, 16, Shiloh, 15, and 13-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne.)
Judge John W. Ouderkirk previously granted Pitt joint custody in May, however, two months later, a California appeals court disqualified the judge for not sufficiently disclosing his business relationships with Pitt’s attorneys.
At the time, the court ruled that “Judge Ouderkirk’s ethical breach, considered together with the information disclosed concerning his recent professional relationships with Pitt’s counsel, might cause an objective person, aware of all the facts, reasonably to entertain a doubt as to the judge’s ability to be impartial. Disqualification is required."
Last August, the Maleficent actress, 46, said she would appeal a finalized decision made by Ouderkirk if he was not removed. Ouderkirk reportedly previously said that Jolie had "clearly failed" to prove bias on his part.
Pitt’s team has since filed court documents asking the California Supreme Court to review the decision by the appellate court to disqualify the judge who awarded him joint custody.
Pitt and Jolie initially hired the private judge in order to allegedly maintain privacy. However, the Those Who Wish Me Dead star claimed she believed Ouderkirk was not an impartial judge.
After Judge Ouderkirk declined to let the couple's children take the stand to testify in the custody battle, the actress alleged the court refused to hear evidence she believes would be beneficial to her case.
Jolie and Pitt separated in 2016 after an alleged incident occurred on a private flight with their children from France to Los Angeles.