TRUE CRIME NEWSNolan Wells Legal War Erupts as 3 Friends Threaten to Sue Rev. Al Sharpton — Who Responds With a Challenge: 'Litigation Requires Depositions'

Nolan Wells' three friends are threatening to sue Rev. Al Sharpton for defamation.
Aug. 22 2026, Updated 3:53 p.m. ET
Three friends of Nolan Wells plan to sue Rev. Al Sharpton for defamation as they claimed his past comments tarnished their reputations.
Wells, 18, went missing last month after attending an Independence Day party with his pals on Horn Island near the Mississippi Gulf Coast. His body was discovered two days later on the shoreline of the island.
The Letter Demanded Al Sharpton Retract His Past Statements

The attorneys asked Al Sharpton in their letter to apologize for his statements.
Lawyers for Warren Hudson, Jax Pitalo and Morgan Seymour noted in a letter that Sharpton’s statements about the case during several public appearances depicted the trio as criminals.
The 19-page memo demanded an apology and accused Sharpton, 71, of making defamatory statements about three "completely innocent young men." They also ordered him to retract his statements within 10 days, or they would sue if there is no compliance.

The civil rights activist said he got involved with Nolan Wells' case to help out his parents.
“Smearing the reputation of innocent young men mourning the loss of their friend to score cheap political points will prove far easier than explaining yourself under oath,” the letter said.
“Indeed, you will find dealing with us to be an altogether different experience than indulging in a slanderous rampage applauded by the fawning sycophants in the echo chamber of your inner circle," the note continued.
- Fox News Star Jesse Watters Says He Will Self-Deport to France If Kamala Harris Wins 2028 Presidency in Brutal Swipe
- Donald Trump Is 'Losing' His Fighting Spirit, Reverend Al Sharpton Claims: 'His Mind Is Not There Anymore'
- Reverend Al Sharpton Files For Divorce From Estranged Wife — 17 Years After Initial Separation
Want OK! each day? Sign up here!
Al Sharpton Said He 'Welcomes' the Lawsuit

Nolan Wells' body was found on July 6, 2026.
"Warren, Jax, and Morgan hereby formally demand that you apologize for, retract, and delete every false and defamatory statement about them," the letter continued.
In response to the memo, the civil rights activist hit back in an interview with TMZ on August 21, saying: "I welcome the lawsuit and will have my attorneys be in touch with theirs to arrange for them to serve me so we can get in court."
The attorneys also alleged Sharpton falsely implied the three were involved in Wells' passing.

Nolan Wells went missing after a July 4 hangout.
"Warren, Jax, and Morgan are completely innocent of any wrongdoing with respect to the death of Nolan Wells," the lawyers added.
Elsewhere in his interview with TMZ, Sharpton firmly stated: "I did not defame them, we have a right and a duty to raise questions that were raised to me by Nolan's parents."
"From the onset of this case, I publicly stated that I welcomed any litigation that would legally require every person that was with Nolan Wells before his death to be forced to answer questions under oath. Litigation requires depositions, discovery and a complete examination of the facts," he said.
Sharpton concluded: "I have been involved in the case for one sole reason: To help Nolan's parents Christine and Elmore find the truth in what happened to their beloved son through a transparent and accountable investigation. If a lawsuit is a catalyst for the truth, then it is welcomed and it will not deter NAN (National Action Network) or me from continuing to stand with the family in their pursuit of justice."


