The Pentagon is currently on lockdown following an alleged shooting, according to various reports.
CNN reported that the Pentagon Force Protection Agency informed the Pentagon workforce that a "shooting event" occurred outside the building on a bus platform.
"Right now, we've just confirmed that the Pentagon is on lockdown," Pentagon Force Protection Agency spokesman Chris Layman told the outlet. "There is an incident at the Pentagon transit center." Layman advised the "incident is ongoing", noting the scene was not safe at the time and people should avoid the area.
Sherri Ly with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority said that Metrobuses were being rerouted away from the transit hub and that trains are bypassing the Pentagon Station, "due to an active police investigation on the Pentagon Reservation," NBC News reported.
The scene is secure but remains "an active crime scene," the Pentagon Force Protection Agency tweeted on Tuesday, August 3. "We request that everyone stay away from the Metro rail entrance and bus platform area."
FOX 5 is reporting that gunshots rang out on Tuesday and several people, including a law enforcement officer were injured, but it is unclear if they had been shot or the extent of their injuries. Department of Defense (DOD) employees were reportedly notified by an electronic warning sent to their computers and an announcement was made throughout the building advising all Pentagon personnel to remain inside due to police activity and not to leave the building.
Arlington County Fire Department reportedly discovered "multiple patients" when they arrived to the scene to help.
"The Pentagon has lifted the lock down and has reopened, the Pentagon Force Protection Agency said in a follow-up tweet. "Corridor 2 and the Metro entrance remains closed. Corridor 3 is open for pedestrian traffic." The lockdown of the Pentagon appears to be over, but the scene of the shooting remains off limits.