The newly married Lake Bell was a total showstopper at New York Fashion Week! The actress sat front row at shows like Marchesa and Rag & Bone, but it was her cool girl 'do at the later that really made us stop and take beauty notes. Celebrity stylist Mark Hill helped get Lake ready for a full day at NYFW, so who better than to walk us through this how-to than the Brit hairstylist himself? (FUN FACT: Lake was practicing her British accent on Mark in her suite at the Palace hotel—maybe to impress Rag & Bone’s British designers Marcus Wainwright and David Neville??)
OK!: Why is this look great for a Saturday night date or party?
Mark Hill: No matter what the texture of your hair is, one of the hottest looks at the moment is big bouncy hair like Lake's.
Steps to Recreate Lake's Style:
- When washing your hair, use Mark Hill Love Big Hair Shampoo and Conditioner to help boost thickness and volume.
- Towel dry before applying styling product to increase its effectiveness (if your hair is too wet, it will dilute the product).
- Next, use a product to help boost root lift. Mousse or hairspray are perfect—just make sure you apply directly onto the base of the hair at the root area and then comb it through the rest of your hair evenly. This gives extra support and body at the roots.
- Use a large round brush to blow dry and as you dry, lift the section up and away from your scalp. Fullness can also be achieved by drying the hair in the opposite direction from which it will eventually fall. If your hair naturally falls forward, blow it back as you dry it. Finally, turn your head upside down and dry the hair until just the ends are damp and then dry into style.
- Once your hair is dry, use a large-barrelled tong to add extra body and gorgeous movement. When using this tool, spray the section you are waving with a heat protection spray such as hairspray, and then wrap the section spirally around the barrel. Hold for a few seconds, and then carefully remove. Hold the wave up and spray the base of it with hairspray. Do this through the rest of your hair but remember to allow the waves to cool completely before combing through using your fingers or a wide tooth comb.
- Spritz hairspray all over to keep your style in place.
What do you think of Lake's hairstyle? Would you recreate it to go out tonight? Leave a comment below or tweet us your beauty opinion @OKMagazine!