Travis London is all about eating and living well — the healthy and chic way — and now each week he’ll be sharing tips and recipes right here on OKmagazine.com. This week, Travis shares his recipe for Nutritiously Enticing Honey Drumsticks!
“This is a great way to put a healthy twist on eating chicken simply by adding these health promoting spices such cayenne pepper–which boost your metabolism–and the anti-inflammatory anti-cancer super spice: turmeric,” Travis says.
Nutritiously Enticing Honey Drumsticks
8 free range chicken drumsticks
2 Tbs. organic lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp. garlic granules
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Over medium high heat, heat stove top grill pan or griddle. Lightly oil grill pan.
2. Across the meaty party of each drumstick, make two deep diagonal cuts across.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together lemon or lime juice and honey.
4. Place garlic, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, turmeric, and salt in a gallon-size zip closure bag and mix to combine. Place one drumstick at a time in bag and shake vigorously to evenly coat.
5. Place seasoned drumsticks on plate and lightly coat each one with the citrus honey mixture.
5. Place drumsticks on pan and grill (coated side down) for 7-9 minutes, coat other side, flip, and grill for 7-9 minutes more or until cooked through.
Keep It Chic: When serving, plate on a bed of vegetables and coat cooked chicken with remaining citrus honey mixture.
Healthy Tip: To make this dish even healthier and reduce the calories and saturated fat simply remove the skin on the chicken legs before starting the recipe. Grab the skin at the top and and pull it down toward the bottom, now your meal just got healthier and in turn even chicer!
For more tips and recipes from Travis visit HealthyChicEats.com and sign up for his free daily newsletter.