‘Tis the season for apple and pumpkin everything, but many of our beloved autumnal desserts carry a hefty caloric price tag. New York-based nutritionist, personal trainer and exercise physiologist Franci Cohen understands the food temptations all of the fall festivities can bring so here she offers a scrumptious-sounding dessert that is good and good for you.
Low-Fat Individual Apple Pies In Their Own Shell
6 Granny Smith apples
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the filling:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut off the top of 4 apples and remove the inside with a spoon or scooper. Be very careful, as to not puncture the peel!
3. With the 2 additional apples, remove the skin and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will be the filling for the mini apple pies.
4. Throw the apple slices in a blow and mix with sugars and cinnamon. Scoop mixture evenly into each of the 4 hollow apples.
For the topping:
1. Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips. Note: You can also add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture and sweetness to the pie.
2. Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.
3. Place apples in an 8×8 pan and add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
4. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.
What’s your favorite fall treat? Tell us in the comments below or tweet @OKMagazine.