On Wednesday, September 23, the television star posted a photo of himself lying in a hospital bed, where he revealed he had been “involved in a terrible accident a few days ago.”
After spending “quality time” with his family at his New Jersey home — which has a bowling alley — the baker got caught in a sticky situation. “There was a malfunction with the bowling pinsetter, a common fix in the past, but it turned into a terrible accident,” a representative for Valastro told PEOPLE.
“After trying to release the bowling pin from the cage mechanism, his right hand became lodged and compressed inside the unit,” they continued. “Unable to remove his hand, he can see a 1-1/2″ metal rod slowly and repeatedly impale his hand three times between his ring finger and middle finger.”
Valastro’s sons, Buddy Jr., 16, and Marco, 13, helped their dad by “cut[ting] through the metal rod” to “relieve [their] father from the machine,” the rep explained.
After Valastro’s hand was free of the machine’s lethal grip, he went to the hospital. The chef underwent two surgeries — one at Morristown Memorial in New Jersey and a second one at the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan.
“It will be an uphill battle as it’s Buddy’s dominant right hand and he will need prolonged recovery and therapy,” Valastro’s rep stated.
Despite getting hurt, Valastro couldn’t help but joke about the ordeal on social media. “What do you think of my new accessory?” he captioned a photo of himself wearing a cast with an IV inserted into his other hand.
Of course, some of his famous pals wished him a speedy recovery. Alex Guarnaschelli wrote, “Those hands are a national treasure and so are you! Get well soon,” while Duff Goldman added, “Get better homie. You’re gonna need that hand.”
We’re sending positive vibes Valastro’s way!
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!