Fox had a good reason to blow off the premiere, blaming the alarming rise in coronavirus cases in The Golden State. "Due to the recent California mask mandate and rise of COVID cases, Megan Fox will no longer be attending the premiere tonight," a rep for the actress said on July 19, mere hours before the red carpet was to commence.
Fans believed Kent, seemingly displeased with the 35-year-old actress’ absence, potentially threw shade when she posted a photo of herself — which has since been deleted — directly blocking Fox on the film poster. “So excited for this!,” the reality star, who welcomed Ocean with Emmett, 50, in March, captioned the snap via her Instagram Story, blocking out Fox’s credit on the poster, Radar reported.
Fox has also failed to promote Midnight in the Switchgrass. She recently appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, but didn’t bring up the project at all, instead gushing over her upcoming thriller, Till Death.
However, Kent has since denied there was any hidden meaning to her post. “My mother took the picture of a special moment in my fiancé’s life,” she explained to USA Today. “In no way was it meant to shade anyone. I like Megan; she has been nothing but kind to me. I’m grateful she supported Randall in his directorial debut. I’m very proud of them both."
Fox responded by telling the outlet she didn’t even see the post because she's "not online”, however, the New Girl alum noted, "I really like Lala, so I can't imagine she would be trying to do anything negative like that. She's a lovely person."
There was speculation that the "Bloody Valentine" singer may have thrown his own shade at the movie. Earlier this month, MGK hopped on Instagram Live where he remarked, "I would never act in something I don’t believe in… Ha, except…", as he and Fox — who interrupted and said, "Don't do that yet" — laughed, reported Metro.