The Duke Of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, was admitted to the private King Edward VII Hospital in Marylebone, London, in the evening of Tuesday, February 16.
"The Duke's admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness's Doctor, after feeling unwell," Buckingham Palace shared in a statement. "The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest."
Philip was driven to the hospital by car before he walked in unaided. Royal sources shared that Philip is in "good spirits," and that Queen Elizabeth II has remained at their home, Windsor Castle — where the two have been residing amid lockdown.
Boris Johnson has since sent well wishes to the Duke for a speedy recovery. "The Prime Minister sends his best wishes to the Duke of Edinburgh as he undergoes a few days of rest in hospital," A No10 spokesman said.
Police officers are currently standing guard outside the private hospital where Philip, who turns 100 on June 10, is being treated.
Last month, it was revealed that the parents of Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Philip — who retired from his royal duties in 2017 — has suffered from a number of health scares over the years.
- Prince Philip, 99, Will Remain In Hospital 'Into Next Week,' Doctor Acting 'With An Abundance Of Caution'
- Prince Philip Transferred To Another Hospital To Treat Infection, 'Undertake Testing' For Pre-Existing Heart Condition
- 'We Keep Our Fingers Crossed': Duchess Camilla Says Prince Philip's Condition Is 'Slightly Improving' During Hospitalization
In December 2011, he was treated for a blocked coronary artery at the Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire and a bladder infection one year later in June. His 2012 ailment forced him to miss the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Philip also had exploratory surgery on his abdomen in 2013 and began using hearing aids the following year at age 93.
One year before announcing his 2017 retirement, Philip had to pull out of a Battle of Jutland anniversary event due to a minor ailment.
In December 2019, the Duke spent four nights at King Edward Hospital because of a "pre-existing condition." Luckily, he was able to return home by Christmas to celebrate with the Queen at Sandringham. In 2019, he was also involved in a car-flipping accident and voluntarily surrendered his driver's license. Fortunately, neither Philip nor the passengers in the other car were injured.
Philip has lived an active life — he was an avid polo player, which resulted in arthritis in his right wrist — and is an advocate for healthy eating and fitness. The Queen's former physicians even described Philip as "astonishingly fit for a man of his age" when he entered his 70s.