The former pop star couple announced on Wednesday, November 17, that they made the decision to "end their romantic relationship" but vowed to "remain best friends."
A source revealed to PEOPLE, "It just wasn't a relationship that can move forward at this point. It seems the romance just fizzled."
The reason that the "Summer Of Love" singer and the "Don't Go Yet" performer could not go on any longer may be the fact that Mendes will embark on a eight month long worldwide tour come March. The Grammy nominee is set to travel to multiple different counties with close to 100 dates booked over the span of 2022.
For Cabello's part — she will be booked and busy as well. According to Billboard, the "Never Be The Same" songstress is set to release her highly anticipated album "Familia" in the coming months.
As OK! previously reported, the Toronto based star was reportedly the one who "initiated" the conversation about breaking up that left Cabello "very upset over the split."
But an insider told E! News, the "I Know What You Did Last Summer" artists "agreed '' that going their separate ways was for the best. "It was really hard for a few days but she has been spending a lot of time with friends and keeping busy," a source explained of Cabello. "She has a huge support system and is feeling renewed now."
"The relationship was getting stale and complacent and they decided they are better off being friends," the insider told the outlet. But that it was "not a bad breakup at all" and the former flames are "still in communication."
Mendes and Cabello started dating in July 2019 on the heels of the release of their hit duet "Senorita" after years of friendship.