Who run the world? Curls! Stick-straight strands are nice and all, but let's face it: a little bounce goes a long way. Take Bey, Carrie Underwood, and Sarah Hyland—these celebs embrace their natural texture and always look amazing! Matrix Artistic Director Ammon Carver breaks down how to steal their style, products that are a curly girl's best friend, and the #1 thing you should never do to spirally strands. Be prepared to have your best hair day ever.
OK!: Who do you think has the best curly hair in Hollywood?
Ammon Carver: I used to give the crown to Keri Russell (in her Felicity days), but lately I think that Taylor Swift is the queen of curls.
OK!: What do you do when you have frizzy curls?
AC: MOISTURIZE! These curls can be the result of dry or damaged hair. Keep your curls hydrated by using an oil like Total Results Sleek Silk Wonder by Matrix or a leave-in conditioner like Moisture Lock by Ouidad.
Find Out Which Lipstick Shade Lucy Hale Rocked at the 2013 KCA!
OK!: What are the best haircuts for curly-haired girls?
AC: Ones that don't have a lot of texturizing or razoring—those techniques can break up the curl formation. Layers are good for curly hair, but just be aware of the shape you want. Want roundness and volume? Go for shorter layers. Dig controlled and calm curls? Keep the layers long.
OK!: How do you style hair when some sections are curly and others are just wavy?
AC: The bad news is there is no perfect solution, unless you go to a salon and have your stylist perform a chemical service to balance out your texture. To avoid that, I recommend choosing one of the textures in their hair that you like and use an iron with that same curl diameter to create the same wave in the sections that aren't that way already.
OK!: What are your favorite products to use on curly hair?
AC: I love Deva Curl's Light Defining Gel and Matrix Total Results Curl Super Defrizzer Gel is amazing topped off with Biolage ExquisiteOil to reduce all signs of frizz and flyaways.
Olivia Wilde's 29 Hottest Beauty Looks!
OK!: What should curly-haired girls NEVER do?
AC: Never BRUSH your hair. Using a wide-tooth comb while your hair is wet (to get conditioner through it) is enough. The rest of the time you should use your fingers to detangle. Brushing and combing curly hair will stretch and confuse the curl pattern. Get the tangles out in the shower and then don't rake through those curls anymore.
8 Hot 'Real Housewives' Hairstyles
How to Get Carrie Underwood's Curls:
1. Apply a volumizing mousse like Design Pulse Go Big by Matrix to damp hair and blow dry smooth.
2. Starting with the lower part of the head, take 2-inch sections and wrap them around a medium-sized curling iron, holding onto the ends instead of closing them in.
3. Make sure to alternate the curl direction by row (example: section above the ear rotates toward the face, and the section on top of the head rotates away from the face). This way the curls stay separated and keep their definition.
How to Get Beyoncé's Curls:
1. Apply Matrix Total Results Curl Super Defrizzer Gel from hair scalp to ends. There should be an even saturation of product on all sections of the hair.
2. Allow hair to air dry or use a diffuser without touching the hair at all. This will keep the root area slightly flatter.
3. Take a small curling iron and wrap random sections around the head until a good balance of natural curl and curling-iron-curl is achieved.
How to Get Sarah Hyland's Curls:
1. Wash hair and apply Silk Wonder by Matrix to damp locks before air drying. (Allow your hair to dry 80% before you go to bed.)
2. Wake up in the morning and go straight for the curling iron…no combs, no brushes. Wrap 1-inch sections of hair around a medium-sized iron, keeping the barrel of the iron pointed towards the floor (this keeps the curls spirally).
3. Leave sections uncurled as you work.
4. Use Ouidad Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel lightly all over your head while you shake your curls loose with your head upside down. (Don't use your hands, or combs, or brushes to shake them out.)
How do you take care of your curls? Tell us in the comments or on Twitter @OKMagazine!
For access to all our exclusive celebrity videos and interviews – Subscribe on YouTube!