Did anyone watch The Sound of Music last night? Although we were pretty pumped to see Carrie Underwood take on the role of Maria von Trapp, we were even more excited for the debut of her amazing Heidi braid. Celebrity hairstylist Julien Farel told us how to recreate her style at home and why this look is hotter than ever right now—see below!
“Carrie’s version of the Heidi braid is a modern take on the classic look from the ‘50s. I think her sleek side-swept bangs update the style to appear new and fresh, while still remaining sexy and sophisticated. This particular look is great because it can be both casual and elegant; it keeps the hair out of your face in lieu of a ponytail or bun and can also be accessorized with a crystal headband or jewel-toned barrette for instant holiday style,” says Farel.
How to Get the Look:
- Blow dry hair smooth using Julien Farel Haircare Flexible Styling Balm on wet/damp hair.
- Once dry, create a 2-inch side part and smooth down to the ears with a light gel and pin behind the ear.
- Use Julien Farel Haircare Vitamin Smooth on the rest of the hair to tame and smooth.
- Create a French braid behind the parted section from one side of the head going across the crown to the other side.
- To hide the end of the braid, continue to braid until it reaches the nape.
- Pin down to secure.
PS—want to rock this ‘do, but no time to try the style out yourself? Cheat Carrie’s look with one of Mia Beauty’s Braidies, which are available in multiple sizes and colors at Walgreens, Harmon/Bed Bath and Beyond, ULTA.
What do you think of Carrie as Maria? Would you rock her Heidi braid? Comment below or tweet us your thoughts @OKMagazine!