RHOBH Star Joyce Giraud de Ohoven's Yummy Chicken Pasteles Recipe
"Pasteles are one of my favorite Puerto Rican dishes,” The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star Joyce Giraud de Ohoven tells OK!. “You can make them with any kind of meat you like, but I love them made with chicken breast and potato. This dish takes a lot of time and effort, but it’s well worth the work!”
OK! News: Try Drew Lachey's scrumptious marinated shrimp skewers
Ingredients For the Masa Dough:
• 5 green bananas
• 1 green plantain
• 1 1/2 lb. taro root
•1 russet potato, boiled until soft
•1/4 cup vegetable oil
• salt to taste
For the Stuffing:
•1 onion, chopped
•1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
•4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
• 3 tbsp. olive oil
•2 lbs. chicken breast, cubed
•1 cup tomato sauce
• 1/2 cup water
•1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
•2 tsp. oregano, dried
•salt and pepper to taste
•Banana leaves, hard spine removed and cut into 12 x 6-inch rectangles — 15 pieces
1. Peel, then grate the bananas, plantain, taro root and boiled potato into a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and vegetable oil to moisten the dough. Add more vegetable oil if too dry.
2. Combine all stuffing ingredients in a large pan and cook until chicken is done.
3. Lay an aluminum foil rectangle on a flat work surface and cover with a banana leaf. Place two spoonfuls of dough onto the banana leaf and flatten. Top with a spoonful of meat. Cover the filling with more dough. Fold banana leaf and tie with kitchen string.Wrap tightly in foil. Repeat until you have 15 bundles.
4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Simmer the pasteles in water for one hour, making sure they stay submerged.
5. Remove from water and let cool slightly before serving. Serves 15
Watch: Reza Farahan taste-tests The Real Housewives booze!
Will you try Joyce's recipe? Tell us in the comments below or on Twitter @OKMagazine.