Former Empire star Jussie Smollett has been moved to the jail's psych ward after authorities reportedly feared for his mental wellbeing, but the actor's brother is calling the claims about his older brother's health a flat out lie.
Jussie, 39, was sentenced by Cook County Judge James Linn to 150 days in jail and 30 months probation on Thursday, March 10, after being found guilty of staging a hate crime in 2019.
The Mighty Ducks actor will also have to pay a $25,000 fine and shell out a whopping $122,106 to the City of Chicago in restitution. Following the reading of his sentence, Smollett is said to have shouted at the court: "I am not suicidal and I did not do it!"
Now, Jocqui Smollett, 27, is speaking out about his older brother's mental health and their ongoing battle to free Jussie.
"So Jussie is currently in a psych ward at the Cook County Jail," he said in an Instagram video posted Sunday, March 13. "What's very concerning is that there was a note attached to his paperwork today saying that he's at risk of self-harm."
"I want to make it clear that he is in no way, shape, or form at risk of self-harm. He wants to let folks know that he is very stable, he is very strong, he is very healthy and ready to take on the challenge that... has been put up against him."
Jocqui went on to explained he felt the entire situation was a complete "lack of justice" and an "outrage."
"I don't know why they have him in a psych ward. We still have not gotten clear answers there," he added of his brother's incarceration. "So please make sure ya'll are spreading facts," he continued, explaining that they need the people who support them to make sure false information "does not go unchecked" when it comes to the Alien: Covenant actor's health.
As OK! previously reported, Jussie was found guilty by a Chicago jury on five of six counts he was charged with to include disorderly conduct and filing a false police report, after he alleged he was attacked by two white men who shouted homophobic and racist slurs at him before looping a noose around his neck.
Brothers Abel and Ola Osundario testified against him in court, claiming he hired them to stage the attack to "raise his profile" as an actor.