As Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are set to spill all their royal secrets in a televised chat with talk show titan Oprah Winfrey on Sunday, March 7, in what Gayle King implied will be a no-holds-barred affair, saying nothing is “off limits” — shocking first-look clips are already raising eyebrows.
#EXCLUSIVE: In this extended first clip from @Oprah's interview with Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex says what it means to be able to speak for herself.— CBS This Morning (@CBSThisMorning) March 5, 2021
It comes one year after the couple left England and stepped back from full-time royal life.#OprahMeghanHarry pic.twitter.com/o3AdxpmLrh
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s drama with the palace began way before they decided to step down from their senior royal responsibilities in January 2020 and subsequently relocate to California with their son, Archie, 21 months. Things have come to a boil since Harry and Meghan announced last month they officially “will not be returning as working members of the royal family,” shortly after announcing they were expecting baby No. 2.
Just days ahead of their bombshell tell-all interview, OK! reported that Meghan came under fire after new allegations that she bullied her royal staffers while she was still a working member of the royal family were leaked to the press — something Meghan has fiercely denied.
“Let’s just call this what it is — a calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation,” a spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said in a statement, while noting: “It’s no coincidence that distorted several-year-old accusations aimed at undermining The Duchess are being briefed to the British media shortly before she and The Duke are due to speak openly and honestly about their experience of recent years,” referring to the couple's upcoming chat with Winfrey. The statement added that Meghan is “saddened by this latest attack on her character.”
The Royal Observer reported that the royal family was hoping Harry and Meghan would postpone the controversial interview as Prince Phillip is still in the hospital recovering from heart surgery. But with no plans of delaying the highly anticipated event, OK! serves up five bombshells sure to be expected from and/or following the explosive Sunday-night sit-down.
Meghan and Harry Will Face Backlash For Timing Of Interview
Many believe the former royals are being insensitive for forging ahead with the explosive interview while Phillip is in recovery. "Clearly this interview comes at a very difficult time for the royal family," royal expert Katie Nicholl told ET, adding that Harry's brood is "much more concerned with the more serious matter which is the health of the Duke of Edinburgh who is seriously ill in hospital." Nicholl continued: “Some royal commentators and experts believe that this interview should be rescheduled and aired at a less sensitive time for the royal family,” she said, noting that "the timing really couldn't be any worse for the royal family.”
Even British network ITV — which is airing the interview — has faced backlash at its decision to move forward with broadcasting the interview while Prince Philip is in hospital — where he is set to remain “for a number of days,” according to the Daily Mail.
Prince Harry & Prince William’s Relationship May Never Be The Same
Entertainment journalist and media executive Dylan Howard, who wrote the explosive book, Royals at War — detailing the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's shocking exit from royal life — spoke in the upcoming documentary on Channel 5's The Markles Vs The Monarchy, saying Harry’s decision to go ahead with the interview is “almost like Harry driving a wedge with a sledgehammer through his relationship with William.”
It is also being reported that William and his wife Kate Middleton are staying as far away from the drama as possible. “William and Catherine could not be more discreet, they don’t want to get involved in this public b*tch fest, but I am sure that William is desperately sad about all this,” The Royal Observer reported. “They don’t wish to elevate this soap opera,” a source added.
The Queen Is Sure To Be Upset Over What Secrets Are Spilled
Sources are revealing that the 94-year-old grandmother is “furious” about what might be revealed. “They feel that sharing [Harry and Meghan’s] side of the story, the entire royal family will be painted in an unfair way,” a source told Us Weekly.
The Interview Will ‘Rock The Establishment’
In the upcoming documentary The Markles Vs The Monarchy, author Dylan Howard expressed that he expects the explosive tell-all interview to “not only to reverberate throughout the United States and England, but [it] will also rock the establishment at its very core.”
Howard added that Harry and Meghan’s actions in the U.S. with their multimillion-dollar deals with Netflix and Spotify “go against the very grain of the royal rulebook,” adding that “as they embark on their brand-building exercise, we're only gonna see earthquake after earthquake shattering Buckingham Palace.”
Meghan Markle Won’t Hold Back
Howard claims that the “honest” former actress won’t shy away from answering questions the royal family may find “uncomfortable,” noting that Meghan doesn’t care about any repercussions her words could have on the monarchy. Howard also claims it was Meghan who was at the forefront of striking deals for the former royals with Netflix and Spotify and that it wouldn’t be surprising if we saw Meghan acting again in the future.
Oprah With Meghan and Harry: A CBS Primetime Special airs March 7 at 8 p.m. ET on CBS.