Prince Philip, 99, was admitted to the private King Edward VII Hospital in Marylebone, London, in the evening of Tuesday, February 16, as "a precautionary measure" — and now it's reported that he'll remain in the hospital into next week.
Three days after his admission, a royal source said that "the Duke of Edinburgh is likely to remain in hospital for observation and rest over the weekend and into next week," after "consultation with his doctor."
"The doctor is acting with an abundance of caution," the insider disclosed. "The Duke remains in good spirits." Philip's illness is not COVID-19 related — he and the Queen received their first dose of the vaccine in early January.
As OK! previously reported, Queen Elizabeth II's husband was taken to the hospital earlier this week on "the advice of His Royal Highness's Doctor, after feeling unwell," Buckingham Palace shared in a statement. "The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest."
Palace sources have since stressed that Philip's arrival at the hospital was not an emergency admission, stating he walked in unaided. Her Majesty, 94, has remained at their Windsor home — where she and Philip have been residing amid the COVID-19 pandemic — during this time, while police guard the private hospital.
- Royal Health Scare: Prince Philip, 99, Admitted To Hospital After 'Feeling Unwell'
- Prince Philip Transferred To Another Hospital To Treat Infection, 'Undertake Testing' For Pre-Existing Heart Condition
- 'We Keep Our Fingers Crossed': Duchess Camilla Says Prince Philip's Condition Is 'Slightly Improving' During Hospitalization
They have only spent a few weeks apart when Philip stayed at Wood Farm on her estate in Norfolk, and the Queen went to Windsor Castle last October.
While the Queen's former physicians previously described Philip as "astonishingly fit for a man of his age" when he entered his 70s, he has been plagued by multiple health issues over the years.
In March 2018, he abruptly canceled his appearance, which he was supposed to attend with the Queen, at the traditional Maundy church. He also skipped Easter Sunday services that year before announcing that he underwent hip replacement surgery. One year later, Philip was hospitalized in December due to "pre-existing condition," the palace said at the time.
He was later involved in a car-flipping accident in 2019, which resulted in him temporarily giving up his license.