The Duke of Edinburgh has been transferred to another hospital after he was admitted to King Edward VII’s hospital as a "precautionary measure" on Tuesday, February 16.
Prince Philip was moved to St. Bartholomew’s hospital in London early on Monday, March 1, to continue treatment for a pre-existing heart condition and an infection, according to Buckingham Palace. He will undergo tests and observation for the heart condition.
"The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week," the press release said.
The Duke was reportedly in good spirits when he entered the hospital unassisted last month but felt unwell in Windsor Castle, where he and Queen Elizabeth II had been staying during lockdown amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The 99-year-old reportedly left the private hospital via a back exit and was shielded by umbrellas as he entered an ambulance.
"As far as I'm aware, well I did speak to him the other day, so he's a lot better thank you very much indeed, and he's looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing," Prince Edward said last week and added that the royal family were "keeping their fingers crossed."
Prince Charles was able to visit his father on February 20 and reportedly spent 30 minutes at the hospital.
"The Duke of Edinburgh is likely to remain in hospital for observation and rest over the weekend and into next week" after "consultation with his doctor," OK! reported last week.
This is Prince Philip’s longest time in the hospital after he was released home after 11 days in 2013 following surgery on his abdomen.
"I think he can be quite blunt and I think if he felt that people were fussing over him he could be quite outspoken about that," royal commentator Penny Juror noted after Prince Philip was first hospitalized.
"This is a man who doesn't want any fuss made of his 100th birthday, so the fact he's in hospital and getting some fuss made of him will really irritate him."
Meanwhile, the Queen has been carrying on with her work while her husband, who retired from royal duties in 2017, is in the hospital.
"Once you've had a vaccine you have a feeling of you know, you're protected which I think is very important and as far as I could make out it was quite harmless," the Queen said in a video call with medical officials recently.
"It was very quick, and I’ve had lots of letters from people who have been very surprised by how easy it was to get the vaccine. And the jab — it didn’t hurt at all."
Both the Queen and Prince Philip received their COVID-19 vaccines in January due to their ages.