BREAKING NEWS
OK LogoROYALS

Queen In Crisis: Her Majesty Breaking Down In 'Tearful Moments' Following Prince Philip Hospitalization, Meghan & Harry's Departure

queen postpic
Source: MEGA

Feb. 24 2021, Updated 10:19 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

Talk about royal pain. Between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle saying goodbye to royal life and Prince Philip heading to the hospital, Queen Elizabeth II has quite a lot to deal with — and it looks like the chaos is taking its toll on the 94-year-old monarch.

"It’s been a rough few weeks for the queen, that's for sure,” a source explained. "The situation with Harry and Meghan has been challenging, and on top of that, she’s distraught over her beloved husband’s health setback."

Article continues below advertisement

"The queen has had some tearful moments mixed with anger and disappointment," said another source. "Emotions are definitely running high."

Philip, 99, was taken to private King Edward VII Hospital in Marylebone, London, in the evening of Tuesday, February 16, as "a precautionary measure." According to a statement from Buckingham Palace, Philip was admitted to the hospital for "medical attention for an infection." 

Article continues below advertisement

As OK! previously reported, the Duke of Edinburgh "is likely to remain in hospital for observation and rest over the weekend and into next week," after "consultation with his doctor."

Three days after Philip's admission, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced that they have no intention of returning to their royal duties at the end of their 12-month "Megxit" review period. Harry, 36, and Meghan, 39, first stepped back from their senior royal duties last March to start their lives anew in the U.S. with son Archie.

Article continues below advertisement

And the distance between the Queen and the couple — who is expecting their second child together after welcoming Archie in 2019 — hasn't been easy for Her Majesty. "The queen has FaceTime calls with Archie, but it’s not the same," an insider told Us Weekly, adding that she is "desperate to give Archie a huge hug."

MORE ON:
Queen Elizabeth II
Article continues below advertisement

Despite the Queen's struggles with her grandson's big move across the pond, it appears the news didn't come as a surprise. According to the U.K.'s Daily Mirror, the monarch decided "long ago" who would fulfill Harry and Meghan's royal patronages following their departure.

“When the writing was on the wall and it was clear the Duke and Duchess had no intention of coming back into the fold and being part of the team, the Queen made her mind up long ago over her preferred candidates for the roles they vacated,” a royal source told the outlet. 

Article continues below advertisement
Article continues below advertisement

The Queen is expected to reveal which royal members will take on their roles in the near future. Harry and Meghan held several patronages during their time as working members of the family, including the Royal Marines, the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, the Rugby Football Union, the Royal National Theatre and the Association of Commonwealth Universities.

Princess Anne — who is Queen Elizabeth II's daughter — is rumored to be taking over Harry’s Captain General post of the Royal Marines. Meanwhile, Sophie, the Countess of Wessex, or her husband, Prince Edward — The Queen's son — may fill Meghan's shoes as patron of the National Theatre, according to Daily Mirror.

UsWeekly was the first to report that the queen has been going through a rough time.

Advertisement

Want OK! each day? Sign up here!

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2024 OK!™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. OK! is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.