Angelina Jolie is weighing in on the fatal shooting that occured on the Rust movie set last month.
On Thursday, October 21, Alec Baldwin was filming for the Western film when he misfired a prop gun, wounding director Joel Souza and killing Director of Photography, Halyna Hutchins.
Investigators have yet to determine whether or not the 30 Rock actor is at fault for the incident, considering he was falsely told the gun didn’t contain any live bullets before pulling the trigger.
The film’s assistant director David Halls and lead armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed are also being looked at as part of the investigation, as they both also handled the firearm before the deadly mixup.
While it is unclear what exactly went wrong on set to cause the accident, Jolie insisted in a recent interview that there are “certain procedures” that need to be followed in order to maintain a safe workplace.
“I’ve always been careful because I’ve had to work with guns a lot,” the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider star told The U.K. Times. “The way I’ve worked or checked when I’m directing, there are certain procedures. You have to take it very seriously.”
Earlier in the industry, the Eternals actress also expressed her sadness over the incident, especially for the families of those involved.
“I can’t imagine what these families are going through,” she said. “At this moment, the grief and the tragedy of that accident is quite overwhelming.”
Over the weekend, Baldwin and his wife Hilaria Baldwin confronted paparazzi on the side of the road in Vermont, where they have been holed up since the tragic incident.
- Alec Baldwin Wants Film Productions To Have Police Officers On Set In Order To 'Monitor Weapons Safety': Report
- Alec Baldwin 'Canceling' Upcoming Projects To 'Re-Center Himself' Following Fatal 'Rust' Shooting: Source
- Halyna Hutchins' Son Didn't Speak For 2 Days Following The News Of His Mother's Tragic Death After Alec Baldwin Accidentally Shot Late Cinematographer On Set
“Let’s go, let’s go,” he told paps on the scene. “What do you wanna know?”
While Baldwin, 63, noted during the conversation that he was unable to divulge certain information due to the ongoing investigation, he did say a few words about the cinematographer who was killed in the tragedy.
“She was my friend,” he told the crowd. “The day I arrived in Santa Fe to start shooting, I took her to dinner with Joel the director. We were a very very well-oiled crew shooting a film together and then this horrible event happened.”
“An ongoing effort to limit the use of firearms on film sets is something I’m extremely interested in,” the Miami Blues actor continued, while also noting that “millions,” of bullets have been fired on movie sets over the past 75 years.
“When it does go wrong, and it’s this horrible catastrophic thing, some new measures have to take place,” he added, confessing that he is “not an expert in this field.”
The father-of-seven then asked the photographers to leave him alone after he answered their questions.
“My kids are in the car crying,” he said, while his wife chimed in, “because you guys are following them and they know.”
“We sat down as a courtesy now to talk to you,” the It’s Complicated actor said. “Now, please, would you just not follow us for the rest of...just leave us alone.”