ROYAL FAMILY NEWSJenna Bush Hager Shades Meghan Markle and Prince Harry for Returning to the U.K. After They 'Lit a Match' With the Royal Family

Jenna Bush Hager was surprised by Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's move.
Aug. 21 2026, Published 3:19 p.m. ET
Jenna Bush Hager shaded Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's impending return to the United Kingdom after their estrangement from the royal family.
The anchor discussed the royal couple's jaw-dropping announcement with her co-host Sheinelle Jones on the Thursday, August 20, episode of TODAY With Jenna and Sheinelle.
She referred to their decision as a "lesson" for all of the viewers of their morning talk show.
'Don't Light a Match'

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announced they would be moving back to the United Kingdom.
"It’s a lesson for everybody. When you leave something and say you’re never going back… [don’t] light a match," she explained.
After Meghan and Harry abandoned their royal duties to move to California in 2020, much contention grew between the prince and his royal family members. In fact, Harry aired out the monarchy's dirty laundry on multiple occasions, including in a televised interview with his wife and his memoir, Spare.
Insiders have claimed the move caused a strain that will be difficult to mend by simply relocating back to his home country, which Bush Hager seemed to agree with.

Prince Harry took his children to visit King Charles and Queen Camilla last month for the first time since Queen Elizabeth II died.
"They sort of threw whatever at the institutions that exist in the U.K.,” Bush Hager chimed in. “It’s hard to say things like that and then be like, ‘Well…'"
Harry and Meghan began mending fences when they brought their young children, Archie, 7, and Lilibet, 5, to visit their grandparents Queen Camilla and King Charles last month.
The last time the young prince and princess had seen the family was for Queen Elizabeth II's funeral in 2022.
"Think about little kids’ lives, how much changes in four years. It’s like, [they’re] totally different humans," the mom-of-three said of the reunion.
- Jenna Bush Hager Says Queen Elizabeth's Death Was 'A Surprise' To The Royal Family
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's U.K. Move Shocks Social Media: 'My Condolences to His Majesty'
- Meghan Markle Set to 'Make Return to Acting' With U.K. Move — as Couple Is Warned There's 'No Way Back' to Join Royal Family
Want OK! each day? Sign up here!
'Is This a Prank?'

Prince William may not be as open to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's move.
Like many people, Bush Hager was shocked to find out that Harry and Meghan would be returning to the United Kingdom after all of the drama that has ensued over the years.
"Is this a prank?" she asked when she first saw the news notification on her phone.
Charles is said to be "welcoming" the family back with open arms, whereas Harry's brother, Prince William, may not be ready to embrace the change.
"William will be furious," former royal confidant Grant Harrold told The Independent. "Harry has said some extraordinary things about the family. William is somebody that when you break trust, and you go beyond a certain point, there's no going back."
'It's Not a Life Sentence'

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are 'very excited' about their return.
"But I also think, good for them for living their life," Bush Hager added.
She and Jones noted that as the family ages, it can only be a positive thing for the children to get to know their family, cousins, culture and "who they are."
"It's not a life sentence," Jones pointed out. "There are planes."
Another insider alleged that Harry is "very excited" to reunite his kids with his extended family, though the couple plans to keep their homes in California and Portugal.


