OK LogoROYALS

Meghan Markle's Legal Battle Continues: Duchess Accused Of 'Confusing And Tortuous Account' In Tabloid Lawsuit

meghan markle lawsuit mail on sunday letter privacy infringement
Source: MEGA

Jan. 28 2021, Published 3:18 p.m. ET

Meghan Markle is alleged to have provided a “confusing and tortuous” account in her ongoing lawsuit against the Mail on Sunday for privacy and infringement.

The Duchess of Sussex is suing the news outlet for publishing a letter she had sent to her father, Thomas Markle, in which she claimed he had broken her heart into “a million pieces.”

Article continues below advertisement

She likewise asserted that her dad had caused her “unwarranted pain” and never called her to say he wouldn’t be attending her wedding to Prince Harry in 2018.

While Meghan’s lawyers are contending that the intimate letter was never intended to be released to the public, lawyers for the Mail on Sunday apparently beg to differ, with a report saying they are stressing that the former actress had every intention of letting the document be made public as part of a PR strategy to get her story out.

11 CELEBS WITH MULTIPLE BABY MAMAS: CAITLYN JENNER, OFFSET, MICK JAGGER & MORE

Attorneys for the British publication reportedly told Judge Mark Warby during a hearing last week that Meghan has been contradicting herself on too many occasions and that her case stands less of chance if it’s true “she had made untruthful misleading statements.”

It’s claimed that the mother-of-one made a “significant amendment” to her copyright claim in October 2020.

Article continues below advertisement

While her original handwritten letter to her father was clearly written in her calligraphy, the former Suits star is believed to have submitted an “electronic draft” version — which was not part of her original claim — Newsweek reports, adding that Meghan said she copied out the electronic version by hand to create the note.

According to the outlet, the newspaper says Meghan initially claimed to have written the letter alone, but then conceded in a November filing she had feedback from Kensington Palace’s former press secretary Jason Knauf, which negates her statement saying she was the sole author of the document.

The court filing from Mail on Sunday revealed, "[Meghan] indicated that Mr. Knauf was involved in the drafting process, referring to 'feedback on the draft' which he provided, although [Meghan] states that Mr. Knauf's comments 'were in the form of 'general ideas' as opposed to actual wording.’”

MEGHAN MARKLE DEEMED THE WORLD’S FAVORITE ROYAL — HERE ARE 5 OBVIOUS REASONS WHY 

Article continues below advertisement

Meghan’s court amendment also reportedly states Knauf was informed about the letter with the intention that he would tell “more senior people in the Royal households, all of whom had to be kept apprised of any public-facing issues,” the court heard.

Therefore, legal counselors for Mail on Sunday are said to firmly believe that Meghan’s version of events isn’t adding up. 

Just last week, Meghan requested that the High Court in London award her a victory without trial. The Mail on Sunday is battling to terminate the appeal, insisting that the case deserves to have a fair trial.

“The confusing and tortuous account of the genesis of the letter and her subsequent communications about its existence and contents cannot serve as the evidential basis for” awarding Meghan her victory without having faced a day in court.

THE ROYAL SCANDALS OF 2020: FROM MEGXIT TO ‘THE CROWN’ DRAMA & MORE

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. OK! is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.