OK LogoROYALS

CBS Reportedly Paid More Than $7 Million To Air Prince Harry And Meghan Markle’s Interview With Oprah Winfrey

meghan markle prince harry interview oprah winfrey cbs paid  million
Source: MEGA

Mar. 6 2021, Published 6:45 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

CBS reportedly paid more than $7 million for the rights to air Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s upcoming tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the two-hour interview likely cost the network between $7 million and $9 million for the lucrative rights and will be charging $325,000 for every 30 seconds of commercial time which is said to be twice the normal price for this time period.

Article continues below advertisement

The deal between CBS and Winfrey’s Harpo Productions allows CBS to license the interview for international viewers which means it will air on Monday, March 8, in the U.K. on ITV.

However, the royal couple was not paid according to a spokesperson. 

5 BOMBSHELLS TO EXPECT FROM MEGHAN MARKLE & PRINCE HARRY'S TELL-ALL INTERVIEW WITH OPRAH WINFREY — IT WILL 'ROCK THE ESTABLISHMENT' 

"It's really liberating to be able to have the right and the privilege, in some ways, to be able to say yes, I'm ready to talk," Markle told Winfrey in a preview where she shared that she previously had to decline an interview with the 67-year-old. 

"That we're on the other side of a lot of life experience that's happened and also that we have the ability to make our own choices in a way that I couldn't have said yes to you then, that wasn't my choice to make. So, as an adult who lived a really independent life to then go into this construct that is different than I think what people imagine it to be."

Article continues below advertisement

This is their first interview since they stepped down as working royals last year and last month they were stripped of their royal patronages after they confirmed to Queen Elizabeth II that they would not return to royal duties. 

"While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much-loved members of the family," the statement from Buckingham Palace said.  

ROYAL DRAMA! FROM MEGXIT TO CONTROVERSIAL MILLION-DOLLAR DEALS, A LOOK AT PRINCE HARRY & MEGHAN MARKLE'S SHOCKING SCANDALS 

"As evidenced by their work over the past year, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the U.K. and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role,” a spokesperson for Meghan and Harry said. 

The couple reportedly no longer receive funds from British taxpayers or a stipend from Harry’s father, Prince Charles, but since their move to California they have worked on several projects including a $100 million Netflix deal, the WSJ reported.

Article continues below advertisement

In the days leading up to the interview, bullying allegations were made against Markle dating back to 2018 when she and Prince Harry still lived in Kensington Palace as Markle allegedly "drove two personal assistants out of the household and was undermining the confidence of a third staff member." 

MEGHAN MARKLE DEEMED THE WORLD’S FAVORITE ROYAL — HERE ARE 5 OBVIOUS REASONS WHY   

"We are disappointed to see this defamatory portrayal of The Duchess of Sussex given credibility by a media outlet. It’s no coincidence that distorted several-year-old accusations aimed at undermining The Duchess are being briefed to the British media shortly before she and The Duke are due to speak openly and honestly about their experience of recent years," a spokesperson for the Sussexes said of the claims. 

The interview will air on Sunday, March 7, on CBS at 8 p.m ET.

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. OK! is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.