NEWSNick Reiner Blocked From $1.5 Million Trust Fund as Murder Case Over Parents' Deaths Moves Forward

Nick Reiner’s $1.5 million trust dispute was put on hold as legal proceedings in his parents’ murder case moved forward.
Aug. 17 2026, Updated 10:51 a.m. ET
Nick Reiner was blocked from accessing a $1.5 million trust established by his parents, Rob Reiner and Michele Reiner, as the murder case surrounding their deaths moved forward.
"Nick’s sense of urgency is real, but it did not arise in a vacuum," the filing denying Nick access to the funds read, per People.
"It arises from the deaths of his parents, the very settlors of the Trust at issue, and Nick is presently accused of causing those deaths," it further said.

Nick Reiner’s request to access his $1.5 million trust was opposed as his criminal case continued.
The incoming fiduciary overseeing the trust, Jodi Pais Montgomery, opposed Nick’s request to access the funds, which he sought to use for legal fees and commissary costs while being held at Twin Towers Correctional Facility.
Jodi is also obligated to Nick and his siblings, Romy Reiner and Jake Reiner.
Per California Probate Code Section 250, the dispute centered on California’s "slayer statute," which prevents someone from inheriting money or property from a person they "feloniously and intentionally" kill.
The law could affect Nick’s ability to receive money from the trust if he is ultimately convicted.
Nick Reiner Sought Access to His Trust

The trust fund dispute centered on California’s 'slayer statute' and its potential impact on Nick Reiner’s inheritance.
Nick, 32, previously took legal action in June, petitioning a Los Angeles probate court for access to the trust money. His filing argued that the dispute over the funds was separate from the criminal allegations involving his parents.
"Nick loved his parents, and he is devastated by their deaths," the probate petition stated, per documents obtained by People.
"But the facts about what did and did not happen to them are not at issue in this Trust litigation," it continued.
According to the petition, Nick claimed he did not receive a mandatory distribution despite making repeated inquiries. He also alleged that the trustee provided changing explanations, including concerns about his ability to manage the trust.
The trust reportedly called for half of the funds to be distributed when Nick turned 30, with the remaining balance scheduled for distribution when he turned 35.
- Incarcerated Nick Reiner Demands Access to $1.5 Million Trust Fund Slain Parents Set Up as He Awaits Trial for Their Murders
- Nick Reiner Glares at Prosecutors During Chilling Court Appearance as Judge Delays Preliminary Hearing for Allegedly Murdering His Parents
- Nick Reiner's Case: Everything To Know After Rob and Michele's Gruesome Murders
Want OK! each day? Sign up here!
Nick Reiner's Lawyer Pointed to His Presumption of Innocence

Nick Reiner’s attorneys argued that the trust funds should not be withheld based solely on accusations against him.
Nick’s attorney, Anita P. Wu, emphasized the legal standard that would need to be met before the trust could be affected.
"The slayer statute requires a determination, not a mere accusation," Anita said in response, per The New York Times.
She added, "Nick is presumed innocent and has been convicted of nothing."
Nick also disputed the decision to withhold the distribution, arguing that the funds were owed to him under the terms of the trust.
"I did not give my consent to any trustee of my trust to withhold, defer or retain my age-30 distribution indefinitely as 'property of the trust,'" Nick said, according to court documents filed in response.
He made clear what he wanted the court to do with the disputed funds.
"As I have stated in my petition and other documents, I would like for my money to be released," Nick said.
Nick Reiner’s Murder Case Moves Toward September Hearing

Nick Reiner’s September 15 pretrial hearing was scheduled as his legal proceedings continued.
The trust dispute comes as Nick’s criminal case continues.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced that a grand jury indictment charging him with the deaths of Rob and Michele was unsealed last month.
Nick was charged with two counts of murder in connection with the fatal stabbings of his parents at their Brentwood home in December 2025. The indictment also included a special-circumstance allegation of lying in wait, along with an allegation that he personally used a knife.
Nick pleaded not guilty to the charges. If convicted under the special circumstances, he could face life without parole or the death penalty.
He remains held without bail and is scheduled to return to court for a pretrial hearing on September 15.


