OK LogoROYALS

Investigation Into BBC Journalist Martin Bashir's Bombshell 1995 Interview With Princess Diana Dropped

untitled
Source: MEGA

Mar. 4 2021, Published 3:57 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email

Scotland Yard will not investigate BBC journalist Martin Bashir after he was accused of using dishonest tactics to gain access to the late Princess Diana before his bombshell 1995 interview with the royal member.

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan police confirmed they will not be pursuing any criminal investigation on Thursday, March 4.

Article continues below advertisement

"In recent months the Metropolitan Police Service received correspondence alleging unlawful activity in connection with a documentary broadcast in 1995," commander Alex Murphy said in a statement, adding that the allegations were "carefully assessed by specialist detectives," who "obtained legal advice from Metropolitan Police lawyers, independent counsel and from the Crown Prosecution Service."

WHY PRINCE HARRY’S BROMANCE WITH JOE BIDEN IS STRONGER THAN HIS BOND WITH PRINCE WILLIAM

After "detailed assessment and in view of the advice we received, we have determined that it is not appropriate to begin a criminal investigation into these allegations. No further action will be taken," Murphy said. "In this matter, as in any other, should any significant new evidence come to light we will assess it."

Article continues below advertisement

News that the investigation has been dropped comes after Diana's brother, Earl Spencer, 56, previously accused Bashir of "yellow journalism" — which emphasizes sensationalism and over-exaggeration that is based on little-to-no legitimate facts. As OK! previously reported, Spencer also claimed BBC convinced his sister that she was being bugged with MI5 and filled her head with lies about the royal family to get her to share information.

THE ROYAL SCANDALS OF 2020: FROM MEGXIT TO 'THE CROWN' DRAMA & MORE

After Spencer called for an independent inquiry into the 1995 interview, BBC pledged to launch a full independent investigation into the events leading up to the controversial interview — where Diana famously said, "Well, there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded," referring to Prince Charles' affair with Camilla Parker Bowles, his now-wife.

Last November, Prince William broke his silence regarding his mom's BBC interview, saying he "welcomed" the independent investigation. The Duke called the investigation "a step in the right direction" and said it "should help establish the truth behind the actions that led to the Panorama interview and subsequent decisions taken by those in the BBC at the time."

Advertisement
More Stories

© Copyright 2021 Empire Media Group, Inc. OK! is a registered trademark. All Rights Reserved. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Offers may be subject to change without notice.